Chapter 9

Sometimes I wonder if Dad dropped me when I was a baby, which might successfully explain what the hell is wrong with me

I absolutely despise myself for saying all those horrible things to Isabelle at the library.

In my defence, the girl drives me crazy. She refuses to cooperate and is always testing my patience in ways that make Carlos look like a saint.

But God, how I miss her sass. It's been a week since our fight and now she does not as much as spare me a glance. She runs away from me every chance she gets, unwilling to be alone with me in the same space. She doesn't even talk to me unless absolutely necessary. I know I deserve it, it being the second time in a row I'd said something hurtful to her in a span of hardly four days, not taking into consideration our usual squabbles.

But I got so used to her in the short span of less than a week that I'd known her, I now miss it all-her cute snort everytime she'd think I said something ridiculous, her precious eyes that light up like stars when she talks about her favourite books, the fire in her soul when she fiercely argues with me- dammit.

I never thought I'd miss that brat the way I am right now. I feel like an abandoned puppy everytime she avoids eye contact and is curt and distant. And it is driving me insane.

Why do I have to be such an insensitive jerk?

How I wish I could go back in time and take back every hurtful word I said, before those beautiful eyes began to water in defeat. God, I hate myself.

But I was worried. Worried that the defenceless girl wanders around carelessly with danger looming over her head. Worried that sometimes it feels as though she doesn't care that her life is at risk thanks to a certain Phantom, not to mention the mysterious party that supposedly set up the camera in Isabelle's room.

Speaking of which, while there have been no attacks since I arrived, the little incidents continue. We have discovered broken vases and crockery, blood smears and missing items like Isabelle's old clothes and yesterday, a book that belonged to her mother. Isabelle was visibly upset after that and didn't even come down for breakfast today.

I look at the wall clock and realise it is time for Isabelle to sneak out to the library like she did last week. I quickly change and stealthily knock at her.

"Who is it?" She mumbles sleepily, peeking out of the door. I notice she is her favourite Totally Spies pyjamas and her good old slippers.

"Why aren't you dressed yet?" I ask, confused.

"For what?" she grits her teeth, irritated. Ah, so sleepy Isabelle is an angry Isabelle.

"Your weekly expedition to the library, of course."

She gives me a blank look then proceeds to shut the door.

"Wait!" I try to stop her by putting my foot out, but she slams the door so my foot is properly flattened and sandwiched between the door and the wall.