Chapter 11

"You what!?" I shriek, flying out of my seat. A few eyes in the hall turn to me.

"Girl, sit down," Tara shushes me and sends an apologetic look to our nosy classmates.

"No way!" I whisper aloud as Tara pulls me down to my seat.

"Yes way," she grins. "He even promised a second date, which I'm guessing is the code for second base. Or is it the third base?" Her grin fades. "Wait, how many bases do they have?"

"I didn't write A Guide To Dating: Nerd's Edition," I shrug.

"You have to help me!" She cries. Apparently, Fred did keep his promise of taking her out, which turned out great, and has asked her out on another. And Tara overanalysing things and freaking out is currently my favourite form of entertainment.

"Isabelle!"

"Okay, okay," I surrender. "I'm happy for you though," I smile. Tara has shown interest in several men, but this is my first time seeing her this excited. And she is not only happy, but I'm afraid also quite bewitched with Fred. I just hope he doesn't break her heart.

"Thanks Belle," Tara smile back. Then her face takes up a more sinister look.

"Don't worry, you'll meet your Dream Boy someday too. Who knows, you might already have. He might even be right outside the building, waiti- ouch!" Tara rubs the spot on her elbow that I just hit with the Accountancy textbook.

"Anyway," I try to change the subject, "how's Lina?" I ask, referring to her cousin's three-year-old daughter. I have only met her twice, and she is the most angelic little thing to walk, or crawl, on the planet, in stark contrast to her evil relative who sits beside me.

"She actually missed you," Tara replies. "Even though you haven't met since Maggie's birthday last year, you seem to have made quite an impression on her."

"I love playing with her," I tell her honestly. Having a hyperactive fifteen-year-old sister and an emo ten-year-old brother for younger siblings sometimes makes me long for someone in the family I could spend time with. Unfortunately, Rose isn't even an option.

"She's adorable," Tara says. Since Lina is her only niece, and the youngest member of the family, Tara loves spoiling the little girl. I don't blame her though. I would do the same if it could make little Lina smile. I decide to tell Tara to bring her over to the mansion sometime.

"That's a great idea!" Tara exclaims. "Lina will be delighted!"

"What would be a great idea, Ms Tara?" Mr Yamamoto coughs. It is then that I realise that we didn't notice the poor man come in and have been chattering away.

"I apologise, Mr Yamamoto," Tara sing-songs. I have a feeling she already knew he was here and didn't bother to acknowledge him, but I doubt I could make her confess that so I straighten up and turn the pages of my notebook instead.