Chapter Fifteen: Lies We All Believe

Loud microphone feedback pierced the silence as Edward Scowled at his device tapping at it in agitation.

"A few technical issues but we're all good to keep going."

His eyes flitted up at me as a smile grew on his face.

"The next topic up for debate is the crumbling form of Slavery known as the Buyer Code and Toyship services."

Nodding at me Edward urged.

"Mr Russworth I'm going to ask you to start off this conversation as you can also best elaborate what the Toyship is for people who've never fully understood the structure or its history."

There was an awkward air of silence as I inhaled.

Of course, they'd ask me to talk about something my ancestors created... Something that was now a problem to society for many reasons...

I inhaled staring down at my podium. I decided to be very textbook.

"Toyships were created when my family's head Alphonse De Carte took in the abandoned and impoverished. The purpose was to provide for them and ensure their safety but my great ancestor also enjoyed their company. He loved people and the conversations and insights they could provide."

I nodded up at the crowd trying to remain hopeful "The buyer's code was established... Much later because... Well. Men of status like Alphonse... Would often find themselves in love with a person of lesser status. To keep situations clean for our own reputations the buyer's code was established but is up to each individual what standards they set. Now..."

This was the part I'd tried to ignore in the news, but I had to speak up about it. "You can see where that becomes problematic because as we see now... Especially according to Human rights Lawyer Mr Barret... It's become another means of Slavery where a person with an advantageous background can further ruin a person of lesser background. Abuse is common for toys in general but a lot of elite buyers who own a toy exclusively also stereotype toys and use them as pawns and trash."

Again I tried to be textbook." I know the current figure. In the past it was 1 in 80 toys are abused. In the last 20 years that spiked up to about 50% of toys have experienced some kind of abuse. Now... Thanks to people like Mr Barret... We have the awareness but not much action because again... This wasn't a matter that was important to the law as it was strictly something dealt with privately among the Elite... But it is a problem. Regardless."

Beside me Peterman tutted." And what can be done for them Aldwyn? Let's face it. Your family created a structure of slavery. They created a system that has become toxic. Much like the situation we discussed prior about women in law-based jobs. But riddle me this what is your solution to the buyer's code going rogue? "

I bit my lip blurting out what I'd had on my mind all along.

" Keep it clean. End the buyer's code and cut off that attachment. Names remain clean and toys are not limited to an abusive household. "

Wayne giggled throwing his hands up as if laughing at God himself. " Again it's like our last conversation. Isn't this the same as letting corrupt judges walk off with a slap on the wrist? Think about the toys... You said they don't have to remain attached to their buyers...  But then where do they go? Who do they rely on? The only reason they're safe is because we provide for them but you've heard the tales of those that are not on a code right? They're passed around like drugs in a crack den. The streets aren't safer. Some of them won't have food. Homelessness will increase, as will disease! Some of them are children for crying out loud! "

I bit my lip shaking my head.
" I've thought about it. But it's a complicated case. My dad is a toy, my father was his buyer. At one point they weren't living together and my father supported him financially... "