1

Sometimes I wish things were different. Maybe if I were just one of the normal town merchants in a small family, things would be easier. Instead, I'm a prince. How is being a prince hard? Marriage is really my only struggle at the moment. But even as a young peasant, I don't think I would be able to marry who I liked as stereotypes didn't allow it. 

I was being forced to find a princess to marry and if not soon, mother would find a princess herself for me to marry. Why my parents- or really the kingdom- wanted me to marry at such a young age baffled me. I was only 18. I didn't want to be getting married just yet. I wanted time to find the right person because it is such a big decision. I don't see why I even needed to get married at all. My parents acted like it was the most important thing in the world. 

"How about Princess Era of Lauria?" My mother suggested and I rolled my eyes. "Mother, if you want me to marry, I shall find a princess on my own." I replied dryly. Mother sighed in response and pulled her big coat around herself tightly. "Daniel, you're too stubborn to pick a princess and you know that." She tried to explain what she thought I was. Sounds like her. "You don't know that I'm too stubborn." I growled out at her before grabbing my things. "I'm going out to the village." I told her in a mumbled voice. I shot her one last glance before leaving the room. After maneuvering through the many halls with concrete walls and lit torches leading the way down them, I exited the large castle. 

Bright sunlight met my eyes and I squinted, trying to adjust from the previous dimly lit castle state to the brightly lit outdoors. Once adjusted, I could see the tall, green trees lining the cobblestone castle barriers and I smiled to myself. Anything to get out of the castle. I began to walk down the long path. I stopped in front of the large gates. I quickly undid the lock and opened the gates a small bit, just enough for my body to slip through. I closed the gate back without locking it this time and I turned to be met with the mass amounts of greenery. 

I liked to come to the village to help out the people. They didn't have servants like royal families did. Some needed the help dearly. Besides, it got my mind off of the marriage struggle.