06. spare me, tsukki

narrator's pov.
school

"where the hell is y/n? that's the third time she's been late this week," keishin complained.

he looked behind the group of teenage boys and saw you running through the gym doors. you dropped your bag off by the bench as quickly as you could before standing by yachi.

"sorry," you apologised quietly.

"don't do it again," he warned. you nodded and rested your arms behind your back.

he continued to explain what the boys would be doing in practice and you silently took notes. "y/n," hitoka pointed to your mascara that looked like it had just been running.

you mouthed "what?"

keishin blew his new black whistle that he was way too happy about and yachi turned you to face her. she began wiping your under eye, "were you crying?"

"no," you said before thinking. you paused and darted your eyes left and right, "yes."

yachi pulled out her pen and book out to log the boys' progress while you conversed, "you can always talk to me if you're comfortable to."

how do you tell her you're not sad, you just got your brains fucked out five minutes prior to this?

"i'm alright, yachi," you reassured her.

"are you sure? because i'm a really good listener," she smiled.

you smiled back and nodded, "i'm genuinely great, don't worry about me."

the two of you carried out your managerial duties for the next 30 minutes until it was break time.

"you're doing even better, babe!" yachi told tadashi excitedly.

you sat on the cold bench and leaned back against the wall while drinking from your almost finished water bottle. "late again, huh?" kei sat down next to you.

"spare me, tsukki," you shook your head.

"you look tired, y/n," he squinted and moved slightly closer to your face to examine your features, "were you... crying?"

you rolled your eyes and squirted water from your bottle into your mouth, "wasn't crying."

"yes because we all know that you're a big girl now and you don't cry," he leaned his jaw on his hand, "what was the exception again?"

you glared at him, "i thought we weren't bringing that up?"

"it was a fun three months though," he added.

"that it was," you agreed.

he pushed his glasses up and narrowed his eyes at you, tilting his head up as he asked "yeah... so who is it?"

your eyes widened momentarily, "what are you talking about?"

"y/n, i'm not stupid, and i know you aren't either."

"there isn't anyone, kei, and it's not any of your business either," you scolded him and continuously uncapped and re-capped your bottle.

he looked down at you fiddling with it and then back up at you with his eyesbrows raised.

you sighed and placed your bottle down next to you and crossed your legs on the bench, turning to him, "why do you wanna know?"

"i like knowing things," he told you.

"can you keep a secret?"

he scoffed, "really? can i keep a secret?"

you rolled your eyes. "kageyama," you whispered, "it's kageyama."

"did you ask him to slap you yet?" he whispered back.

"i'm about to slap you."

"chill," he held his hands up in defence. "are you good though? because you only ever cried after when-"

"we usually don't," you cut him off. "it's too awkward to ask so i just leave."

"but you asked me?"

"we've only done it three times, maybe next time," you said.

"well, you're not doing anything wrong, y/n," kei shook his head. "don't feel bad about it."

"that aftercare is 30 minutes late," you smiled.

"idiot should've done it anyway," he smiled back slightly.

you did miss going over to kei's house and doing the things that you and tobio were currently doing. he was a lot easier to be with than tobio, especially considering that you had been in the same class since junior high.

you two gave up on what you were doing months ago though. he had complicated feelings towards you, while you didn't have any towards him.

it was for the best.

"back to training," keishin blew his whistle again.

"someone needs to take that fucking whistle away from him," you picked up your notebook and pen, ready to carry out your managerial duties once again.

author's note - lightly edited
i want y'all to know in advance that i have the plot planned out to the final chapter and i'm not being nice with this book 💕