20. how bad was it?

narrator's pov.
6am.

"tobio," you tapped him. "tobio, wake up."

"huh?"

"wake up, we have school today," you yawned, rubbing your eyes.

"i don't have my uniform."

you looked up at your uniform hanging on your curtain rod, "shit, i'll get changed and we'll walk to your house."

"but then we have to walk back," he groaned. "what if we skip school?"

"no skipping on the first day!" you smacked his thigh. "this is why your grades kept slipping, idiot."

"i'm not an idiot," he grumbled, rolling out of your bed. "i'll be back."

he was going to brush his teeth, and you were struggling to put your school skirt on.

the button wasn't on quite right, and when your tried to pull it closed, it popped off. it was annoying, but at least you had a spare one.

"fuck," you mumbled.

"y/n!! where's my shirt?!" your younger sister called, running into your room.

"uh, it's, uh..."

"i think it's downstairs in the clean laundry," tobio came back in.

"thanks, tobio," your sister smiled.

"i love that you get along with my siblings," you said.

he had been over a lot since you had started dating - that was about 4 months ago. you spent the entire break together so he met your siblings and mom.

you hadn't really seen your dad, so he didn't get to meet him - not that it was a bad thing.

"your siblings are cool," he shrugged. he had just adjusted to being around them.

one time you were watching a movie together and hansuke walked in, so you ended up watching it all together.

although, it was a horror movie, so you covered his eyes a lot.

it was weird, because he'd been so close with your family but you hadn't even met his.

his house.

"tobio?"

"yeah?"

"why haven't i met your mom yet?"

"oh, she's busy."

"yeah, but how busy is she that she can't like... i don't know. have a 5 minute conversation with me?"

"she's super busy."

you furrowed your brows slightly, "you haven't told her about me, have you?"

"i didn't even say that!"

"you're getting defensive! you didn't tell her about me," you whined, standing up from his bed. "you want to be all 'open' about our relationship until it comes to literally anyone who isn't our close friends."

"don't pull the camp card on me," he rolled his eyes.

you picked up your school bag and yelled back at him, "YOU are the one who wanted to date me, you put this on yourself you fucking dick."

he turned around, just catching a glimpse of your bag before you were out the door.

"...y/n, where are you going? y/n??"

"you're a bad boyfriend," you yelled, walking down the stairs.

"y/n, you're overreacting."

"it's been months! we've been dating for months," you argued. "are you embarrassed of me or something?"

"no! i just- i'm not embarrassed of you. you're... i don't know."

"i'm what?"

you were upset, but you weren't genuinely taking anything that he was saying personally.

but being embarrassed to tell his mom about you?

"y/n, i said a lot of things about you when we hated each other," he told you.

"i'm sorry?"

"she's... harsh. she's bad for holding grudges."

"okay," you stuck your tongue to your cheek, "so what'd you tell her, hm?"

he tried to avoid answering.

"we're gonna be late, i need to-"

"tobio, how bad was it?" you asked.

he wouldn't say anything, so you knew it had to be bad. he never wanted to hurt your feelings, at least, not now.

"was it the family shit? the weed? the sex with guys i barely knew?" you gulped, hoping that he would say no.

tobio shrugged.

you nodded, "okay."

"no, no, i'm sorry y/n. that was a long time ago, and i don't think that way about you anymore," he struggled to apologise.

"it's all true though, isn't it? what's there not to believe?"

"that any of it means you're a bad person?"

"anymore," you added. "doesn't mean i'm a bad person anymore."

"look, i'm sorry," he half-heartedly apologised, "i just don't know why all of this is such a big deal to you."

"you were privileged to grow up with a good mom, tobio. i didn't have anyone. it was me, daichi, and a roof barely over our heads," you explained. "i never cared what you said to me but to know that the person i'm in a relationship with thought of me as a bad person for how i was raised and how i cope with that? i don't know."

"you know i didn't mean it like that," he walked down to you.

"you still said it," you frowned. "i gotta walk my little brother to daycare now, if that's alright with you."

you were supposed to be doing that together.

"oh, yeah," he scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

you kissed his cheek, "get to school on time, don't wait for me."

author's note - lightly edited
hi i forgot about this book HAHAHA