09. what more did i expect?

narrator's pov.
the next day.

"where were you?" your mom sat at the kitchen table, inhaling from a cigarette.

"thought you quit," you dropped your jacket on the coat rack.

"i had 2 hours of sleep after getting home, i need this."

your eyes widened, "weren't you home last night? i saw you when i left."

"i had to go out," she shook her head.

"so you left them alone at night?"

she groaned, "nothing was gonna happen, all the doors were locked."

"mom, you can't leave the kids alone. "

"you were supposed to be home," she scolded.

was she blaming you? "it was your responsibility to be here."

she crossed her arms, "this isn't my fault, i didn't do anything wrong. you're the one that puts them to bed, so you're the one who stays with them."

"i have my own life, i shouldn't have to play mom for them because you want to go out at night."

"you're not playing mom, i had to deal with worse when i was your age."

you scoffed and walked straight past her to the kitchen. your siblings would be up soon so you had to make lunch.

"you look tired," hitoka bumped shoulder in your shared graphics class

usually, you wouldn't have the same periods because she was in a higher class than you, but graphics was an elective period. it was between that and music, but the music teacher wasn't always so nice.

you blinked your eyes open slowly, "oh, yeah, i didn't sleep much."

"were you finishing your speech?"

"what?"

"the english speech? were you finishing your oral presentation?"

you were definitely finishing something oral!

"uh, no, actually can i see yours? i forgot about it," you held your head in your hands.

"yeah, of course. i'm sure you'll do great," she smiled.

"and this is due... today?"

"yeah? y/n, weren't you listening last week?"

you felt like your brain couldn't process anything. for some reason, the only thing you could think of was what happened last night with tobio and the argument this morning with your mom.

"my brain is working a little slow today, sorry," you rubbed your eyes.

"your design is really nice," tadashi looked down at it.

"oh, thank you," you said. it wasn't much, but it was enough to pass.

"do you wanna come over tonight? we can watch movies and you can sleepover if you want," yachi placed her hand on your back. she thought that maybe you were tired because you were up with your siblings all night.

"oh, maybe you could come to my house?" you suggested. you didn't want to repeat earlier.

"yeah, if that's alright with you!"

"of course," you nodded.

"am i still allowed to sleepover or will your mom think it's weird because we're in high school?" tadashi flicked his pencil across the table.

"i'm sure it'll be fine," you smiled.

"what happened to our plans?" kei mumbled from beside tadashi.

suddenly, tadashi remembered, "ohh, right."

"you can both come over if you want. you don't have to though," you offered.

tadashi raised his eyebrows at his best friend. "alright," kei replied.

your eyes wandered across the room, soon noticing someone elses doing the same. you brows furrowed at the eye contact and his did too.

"what?" tobio mouthed.

"huh?" you mouthed back. you shook your head and refocused back on your design. he didn't.

was it weird that he wanted to sit with you? was it weird that he wanted to talk?

"y/n," he came up behind you. he thought it was time to ask you out on a real date.

"tobio," you nodded a hi awkwardly while you fiddled up your skirt's hem.

"uh, i wanted to talk to you."

"yeah, so did i," you cleared your throat.

"you go first."
"you go first."

"oh," you looked away, "you can go."

"it's alright."

"uh, okay. i don't think we should see each other anymore," you avoided looking at him, continuing to fumble with your much too short skirt.

the most defeated expression came across his face, and he just felt lucky that you weren't looking to see it.

"right, yeah," he nodded slowly, "yeah i was... i was gonna say the same thing."

you looked up, seeming equally as hurt, "oh."

you thought that you shouldn't see each other anymore because of were never sure of what to expect from your parents. you couldn't in good conscience risk your siblings' safety and happiness over a guy that you could barely tolerate a few weeks ago.

but what was his reasoning?

you were starting to just starting to like him after all. you were just starting to feel comfortable around him.

tobio's pov.

she didn't want to see me anymore.

we weren't as close as i thought we were getting.

but we were just using each other for sex to begin with, so what more did i expect?

"guess we're on the same page then."

author's note.
i'm never gonna let you be happy with this book