21. girlfriend?

narrator's pov.

"cat!" your little brother gasped, running towards a fluffy white kitten beside his daycare gate.

he was already two years old, he growing up much too fast.

"wait, baby, we don't know where the cat came from," you pulled his arm back gently. "you have to go inside or you're gonna be late for your first day."

"cat!"

the kitten stared up at him from the pavement, quietly meowing.

"hey, leave the cat alone. we're here," you crouched down to him.

"no," he said.

"hansuke, i'm serious, leave the cat alone."

he sat down next to the cat, "no."

you placed your hands under his arms and lifted him back up yourself, "it's dirty on the sidewalk, stop being silly."

he frowned, "nooo, where tobi?"

"tobio's at school, like i should be. you need to go inside so both of us aren't late," you insisted.

"no!"

"baby, i promise you'll make lots of friends in there. i'll be back to pick you up soon, alright?"

"no," he stared up at you with tears in his eyes.

"aww, don't cry! you'll make me cry," you gave him a hug. "i know it's scary, but you're gonna have lots of fun."

"no," he sniffled sadly.

"how about this, i made you nice snacks and you only get to eat them if you go inside," you wiped his cheeks.

he stopped crying, "really?"

"yup, and i put them in your super cool new race car lunchbox!"

he wiped your own few tears away from your cheeks, "love you."

"i love you too, baby," you smiled.

home room.

tadashi tapped your arm, "y/n?"

you pulled the end of your pen out of your mouth, "shit, yeah?"

kei furrowed his brows in confusion, "were you crying?"

"no? why would you even think that, idiot?" you scoffed defensively.

he furrowed his brows, "you have makeup or something on your cheek."

"me? i don't even wear makeup, you're acting crazy," you rolled your eyes, immediately turning to your phone camera to clean your face.

kei threw a scrunched up piece of paper at your head, "hey, does this have to do with your boyfriend?"

"what? no. me and tobio are fine," you defensively answered.

"it's still so weird that you're dating, like you literally hated each other," tadashi said.

"right," you nodded, not really sure what to say. you had never thought about it too much.

"y/n, why are you acting weird?" yachi asked from the seat beside you.

in your third year, all four of you were finally in the same class. it was great, just not on the day that you had a fight with your boyfriend and cried about your little brother growing up.

you sighed, reluctantly telling them "i dropped hansuke to daycare, okay?"

"aww!" tadashi and yachi cooed.

kei smiled, "did he use his race car lunchbox?"

"yes, he did, and he loves that thing more than me," you rolled your eyes. "but seriously guys, i'm fine. it's just hansuke."

lunch.

tobio spotted you at the vending machine and quickly rushed over to you, "y/n."

"what do you want?" you asked, kicking the side of it.

"uh, can we talk?"

you kicked the machine harder this time, "kinda busy."

he looked through the glass, "what number?"

"what are you talking about?" you furrowed your brows, placing your hands on your hips tiredly. you'd been kicking the same spot for so long that the machine was starting to get a dent in it.

"what number did you put in for your selection thing?"

" i dunno, 40," you replied.

"doesn't work," he told you, crouching down to put his hand inside the machine.

"you don't need to do that," you crossed your arms, "i'll just cancel it and go. bending your arm like that looks painful."

"no. this is relaxing."

"it really looks like you're in pain."

"i'm good, i just have to... twist my arm," he mumbled, reached higher to pull out your drink. "got it."

you still weren't happy with him, but you were pleased to have your drink, "thanks."

"anything for my... girlfriend?"

you narrowed your eyes, "why'd you pause? am i not your girlfriend?"

"do you still want to be?"

you sighed, "tobio, i don't want to break up, you're being a shitty boyfriend."

"i'm sorry," he apologised.

you shook your head, "it's- i don't really want to talk about this right now. maybe later."

"oh, got it."

author's note - lightly edited
literally in math class