13. raising three kids

narrator's pov.

"i forgot i have fucking work," you groaned over the phone, struggling to pull your pants up. "kei, why didn't you stop me from going to that party?"

"you're calling me kei now?"

"oh," you grabbed your jacket from your desk chair, "i called you kei before, if you don't want me to, i won't."

he brushed it off, "i don't care."

of course, kei did care. he liked it when you did that, but you stopped doing it after you stopped hooking up. it upset him, but he would never tell you that.

you really had a way of finding the stubborn ones that would never admit to shit  - especially when it involved their feelings.

"god, i'm gonna be late."

"you'll be fine, y/n," kei told you. it was easy for him to say; he was still lying in bed with his pajama pants on.

you quickly did your makeup to make yourself look less hungover and dead, "is yamaguchi coming over today?"

"yeah, we're probably going to the mall."

"as long as you stay out of my store," you joked tiredly.

"which one are you working?"

you had two jobs.

one of them was at a grocery store that was attached to the mall, where you would fulfill the online click and collect packages.

the second one was at a large clothing store where you would have to talk to a lot more people.

it was hard to balance two part-time jobs and school on top of practically raising three kids when your mom didn't feel like being a mother. it only got harder for you after daichi left to the police academy.

"from 8 to 2, i'm working at the clothes place. from like 3 to 11 i'm gonna be at the grocery store."

"you get one hour in between that?"

"yeah."

"is that... jesus y/n."

"i know, it fucking sucks. then tomorrow i'm working again and i have to finish a few things for school."

"i don't know how you do it," he said.

"with a lot of micro-scheduling and 5 hours of sleep. i get paid alright, so i don't mind."

"at 17 though," he frowned. "you're gonna burn out soon."

"don't speak it into the universe and it won't happen," you rested your hands on your hips, staring at yourself in the bathroom mirror.

you always brushed off your problems; it was like it was necessary for you to be able to achieve what you needed to.

there was no time for mistakes and wallowing in your own sadness, so repression and complete avoidance was your best friend.

"that's not how it works."

"of course that's how it works," you practiced smiling at yourself quickly, "i gotta get to work. i'll see you if i see you!"

9:05am.

"i hate cleaning the dressing rooms," you sighed to your work best friend, kanoka.

no one seemed to clean them at the end of the previous day, so unfortunately, you two were left with the job.

"it's kinda fun," she hummed happily, "we usually don't have to talk to anyone."