Part 14 ~ Return To Me

Michael's Point Of View ~ 

"Michael, your phone is ringing . . " 

I hear mother call out. I come out from my bedroom . . my phone in my sights as it sits on the kitchen bench top. Right where I left it. I look at the screen, it reads unknown caller. 

Is it Anika? 

I wonder. I hope it is. I'm scared, I won't lie about that. I am just praying that I made the right decision. I'm not angry at Anika but at the same time . . I am. I pick up my phone. Pressing the green button, bringing the phone to my ear. 

"Hello? . . " I ask. 

I hear a voice on the other end. It's soft, it's sweet . . it's Anika. I know it is. I can't help but to smile as I hear this voice. It's a voice that I missed so much but it's a voice that I made myself forget . . but never did. I feel myself go all shy, a nervous feeling within me. Mother is looking at me. At my reaction. I feel as if she knows who I'm talking to. There is only one person where I just completely trip over myself. 

"Anika, hi . . " I say. 

I see mothers reaction as I say her name, as I have just confirmed to her what she already knew. I'm facing mother. I'm in the kitchen while she sits down on the lounge in front of me . . Odie's head resting upon her lap while she pats him there. Mother gives me a look. Ugh, I need to go somewhere more private. I walk into my bedroom, closing the door behind me. I sit on the edge of my bed. I am so pleased that she called. I thought she wouldn't. I want to see Anika, speak to her . . spend time with her. Just the two of us. But I don't wish to speak about back then, not yet. I just wish to catch up with her. Get to know her as insane as that sounds. 

"How are you, Anika? . . " I ask her. 

She tells me she is doing well before she goes ahead, telling me how she has spent her morning so far. I smile all throughout as she fills me in. I picture how Anika must be right now. Walking up and down, all around aimlessly, moving her free hand all over as she speaks to me. I remember she would always do that . . just never being able to sit still when speaking on the phone. So I feel she is doing that right now. I always thought it was funny, cute even. I am so happy . . in this moment as I listen to Anika speaking. When I went to see her yesterday after work, I was so nervous. We both were. As I had that part of me that was so unsure if it was even the right thing to do after it all. If it was the best idea to go back there. I felt as if my head was screaming at me to turn back around and go back home . . never to speak or see Anika ever again. But the other part was so pleased. My heart this time. It's as if it was smiling and shining with excitement as I drove to her place. Both my head and my heart are in a battle with each other. But I just need to go with how I'm feeling now, today . . in the moment. And going to Anika's to visit her felt right. 

So, I listened to that. 

And that feeling hasn't gone away. 

Anika is still talking. This is so great. I love this so much. Yesterday was so awkward. I mean, I can't speak for Anika but it was. I felt it. And thats fine. It was expected after so many years apart from one another. And just the shock of me showing up at her place. Not expecting me to be standing in front of her . . again. Hell, I wasn't expecting it either. It was just a decision that I made while I was driving home from work. And like I said, it felt right . . so right. 

She starts telling me a funny thing that happened to her just before she called me. 

I listen, smiling. 

She talks about how she picked up an orange from the fruit bowl . . but she really wanted an apple. Anika chuckles a little bit after she says it. But then, she goes silent all of a sudden. 

"That's not funny at all, isn't it? . . " 

She says. It makes me giggle to her sudden change of emotion. It's like I could feel her smile turn into a frown in the blink of an eye. 

"No, it's funny Anika. Very interesting, thanks for filling me in on that . . " 

I tell her, still giggling. She chuckles after I say that. I tell her something this time. I tell her that I wish to see her again. Very soon too. I don't want to wait. I hear a soft 'hmm' on the other end of the phone as she thinks for a minute. I'm so edger to see her and this time, it won't be awkward. No way. I want this to be the beginning of Anika and I reconnecting once again. Back to our old selfs too. 

"Well, tomorrow I need to run some errands for grandmother . . " 

" . . you're welcome to come along? . . " She says it like she is asking me. 

I nod into the phone. Ugh, why did I just do that? Anika can't see me. 

"Yes I'd be happy to come along with you, Anika . . " 

"Great, locked in! . . " She says giggling. 

It makes me giggle myself. She tells me that she just going to our local Westfield - it's a large shopping mall full of many different shops. From groceries and food to jewellery and shoes. It has got everything. She agree on a time before we say our goodbyes. I am so excited. This is what happens when you take a chance. It worked in my favour this time. I open my bedroom door. Mother still sitting on the lounge while Odie is now laying down on another one of his beds in the lounge room across from mother. I come and sit down next to mother. 

"Hmm, so I believe you were speaking to Anika? . . " Mother says. 

I look at her. A single eyebrow of hers is raised. Oh god. I believe mother is also excited too. She always loved Anika. So much as a matter of fact. She was devastated when Anika and I broke up. Mother doesn't know why . . what really happened that night at the beach. I'm just not ready to tell her. One day I will, maybe. 

"I'm meeting up with her tomorrow, mother . . " I tell her. 

Mother just nods her head, a smile on the corner of her lips. Yep, she's happy about that. I am too actually. Of course I am . . why wouldn't I be? I get to spend time with Anika. That is what I have wanted since I first saw her that night when I was working. Some doubt, yes. But it's mostly a feeling of excitement and joy. Tomorrow is going to be a fun day. A good day. I just can't wait for us to get the chance to begin again, it feels. For us to be given a second chance. I love it. I love it so much . . for Anika to return to me. 

New beginnings are on the way. And it's a great feeling. 

to be continued.