Part 27 ~ Alone

Michael's Point Of View ~

So happy that yesterday has gone and knowing what today is going to be about. It's a day of fun for the both of us. As yesterday, Anika went back to the nursing home and spent the entire day visiting her grandmother while I was working . . all day. With hours and hours of me just looking at the clock, wishing the time would go by fast.

In the end, it did. 

I suppose. 

The polaroid photo put away, back in the drawer of the coffee table once the sound of my ringing phone made me do so. It was Anika calling. She told me she has just stepped away from her grandmother to call me. She told me all about how moving from the hospital to the nursing home had gone. And it went well, great news. As I was wondering myself. But her concerns are then expressed . . I say nothing. Listening to each and every word Anika says. 

I understand her concerns. 

She said she is worried that her grandmother won't remember her carers. It's a case of when . . not if. And then what? What will happen then? Anika said to me. I tried my best to be there with her in her time of decline. Without the opportunity to give her a hug or to place a gentle, hopefully comforting hand upon her. But having only my voice. So, I pray I used my words with all my power. 

Anika said she wishes to see me again. 

To spend the entire day with me. 

It was organised. Unfortunately, it couldn't happen yesterday causing us to wait as I had to work. But today . . I'm free. And I'm all hers. I wait patiently for Anika to arrive. I can't help it. I think about Odie. I hope he is okay. He is home alone this time . . I know, big step. Mother minded him yesterday while I was at work to make sure but when I got home, I was told great news. Mother told me that Odie was great. So happy, his tail wagging. Everything was positive. He was close to being back to his normal self again. It was then that gave me the confidence to make the decision to leave Odie home alone today. He'll be fine for a few hours. 

I see Anika suddenly. Oh man. 

She looks incredible. 

Her smile is seen all the way from where I'm standing. She walks over to me and my heart suddenly starts to pound by the vision of her. She gets closer and closer until she's standing in front of me. 

"Hi, Michael . . " 

Her arms around me. 

"Hello, Anika . . " 

My arms around her too. 

I am so excited for today. I feel we both are. I'm taking her fishing. It's something I have been doing not for longest time . . only starting around a year ago. It was my brothers that really got me into it. They would take me fishing each time one or all of my brothers would come to town for a visit. They too, like everyone else, moved away. Now it's only myself and mother still living here in Airlie. As for my father, he passed away a few years ago now. I do miss him. A great man. I love fishing. It's even an opportunity for you to go away for a while with no one else around. Just you and your mind. A chance for you to be alone. Especially in those times where it's all that is really needed to get your head cleared. I love it that way. 

"You ready? . . " 

I ask her with a smile. I see a flash of hesitation. I put my hands gently onto her shoulders, looking into her eyes. 

"You got this . . " 

"And I'm here to help you . . " 

I say with a chuckle. Anika chuckles also. I guess knowing that she'll need my help after all. I won't mind, not at all. The lake where we will be fishing is right behind us. As the bait shop is on our right . . we walk over. A skip in our step. Through the front door of the shop now, the bell that rings each time someone enters and leaves the store is heard.