Episode 59: XOXO

Episode 59: XOXO

Chase's gaze journeyed over the bed as he entered the bedroom. She was exactly where he had left her. Wild, dark hair, smooth tanned skin, and bunched up sheets. Valentina slept on her side, both hands beneath the pillow. His chest felt heavy while he looked at her soft expression. He wanted to ensure that it was only accessible to him. That he was the only lucky guy in the world that could memorize it.

Before he knew it, his feet carried him over to her and he took a seat on the edge of the bed. It was a long moment in which he just stared at her. With every breath she took, he grew with the need to protect each one. At least then, he'd be sure she would never have to go through something like that.

Maybe if he had kept tabs on her, maybe if he was more invested in what she was doing or who she was meeting, this wouldn't have happened.

He knew how much of a control freak that made him sound like but he couldn't bring himself to care.

Her safety was more important than anything in the world and that had been compromised right under his nose.

He felt like he had failed her once again.

He always swore to protect her but as he looked at the bruise on her cheek, he felt like that had all been empty promises.

Could he not do anything well?

How could he have this woman in his life for an eternity if he was incapable of not having stuff like this occur?

His self destruction must have been picked up even in her slumber because Valentina rolled further onto her side and came in contact with his thighs. Her brows furrowed at the feel of them before those precious brown eyes pried themselves open. She squinted, body tensing at the figure above her until it relaxed at seeing that it was only Chase.

"Hey," she croaked out.

With all the crying she had done, her throat was sore and so was her body sadly.

She stretched in the sheets, a relieved sigh leaving her. It hardly took a second before she scooted closer and rested her uncompromised cheek onto his lap.

"Hi."

His hand automatically reached for her hair as he brushed the liberated strands away from her face. His fingers then started to massage her scalp and she moaned. "Gosh, you're a doll."

He chuckled.

"I don't know whether to feel flattered or offended by you calling me that."

"Flattered," she winked. "Definitely flattered. You've got some skills. I mean you well to suggest opening your own parlor."

"Are you sure you'd like for me to have my hands on other women?"

Her neck snapped up and she pouted.

His finger flicked the lower lip playfully.

"Why'd you say something like that? Now you've planted that image in my head and my heart's burning with jealousy."

"No need to feel jealous," his hand traveled to rest on the nape of her neck as he leaned down to press a soft kiss to her lips. "I'm all yours."

He felt her sigh in contentment at that. "I'm glad to hear that after everything that's happened."

He felt his heart ache.

His hands consciously cupped her cheeks. She looked up at him with round, curious eyes and he felt his cute aggression acting up.

"Hey, look at me. No matter what happens in the future, I'll always be yours. Nothing can change that, Valentina."

Her reactive smile was addictive and as she reached for his hand to cuddle her face into it some more, he didn't object. That was until she stopped and looked down at the torn skin of his fist.