Episode 22: New Year's Magic

"I thought you'd leave after a conversation like that."

"Should I?"

He stared at her.

"No."

Her pink lips twitched at the sides.

Chase's eyes flickered away a millisecond later following the act.

"I need to take a walk."

An odd expression seeped into Valentina's face at that.

"What do you mean-"

A gasp slipped out of her mouth as he purposefully pulled out the IV string from his arm.

Her eyes were torn open as her hand reached with hesitation to check if his brainless act had caused some rupture or bleeding.

It didn't seem to be the case as his skin was still its usual tanned (unharmed) complexion. His face was a shade lighter and had her wondering if he was in his right mind to be doing something like this. Maybe the argument they had earlier caused some malfunction in his brain. Yes, surely the organ had released some kind of chemical which had caused him to go haywire and incited the desperation to venture.

Looking like he was truly in need of a breather, Valentina decided to help him.

She stood by his side as he took surprisingly steady steps towards the door.

He gave her a look from the corner of his eyes which forced her to stop in her tracks.

The pressure of his green eyes made it hard not to get flashbacks of him trying to have her be his.

Of course, in every form except emotionally.

He wasn't the type to give his heart out to any woman you see.

It's not like I'm asking for him to get down on one knee and promise me a forever. I just want to know that if I'm stupid enough to be imprisoned by his charms - in a much more severe form than the first time - that I can be rest assured that I won't just be some play thing, she ranted to herself internally, expressive eyes still locked with his.

God knows how much the woman was tired of being appreciated only because of her body and face.

Those could only go such a long way.

Compassion has no time limit when it comes from the heart.

Was that too much to ask for?

The stupid blond surely made it seem that way.

What did he say again?

Status? Money? Car? Clothes?

Did he really think she was that shallow?

Calm down. I think he's just making appeal to other things he's got to offer. After all, he did say that you had no interest in his status.

The words tossed out by her subconscious was like taking a cold shower on a hot day.

Well, at least the woman didn't have to worry about him thinking she was a gold digger.

Valentina made a scoff at that once he had turned his back.

His head whipped around at the sound, startling her who was trailing behind him down the hallway.

"Is there something bothering you?"

"No, not really." She spoke quickly.

His eyes squinted at her.