Episode 17: Ulterior Motive

"That's amazing, Valentina!" Emily commented after letting the news of her friend's new accomplishment register inside.

Initially, she had planned on telling the woman after it was a done deal and her meeting with the executives had been attended to.

However, that special event was today and Valentina had called asking to hang out and Emily had no choice but to explain why that would be inconvenient at the moment.

Knowing herself, a confirmation from a second party was good for her mental health.

It made her believe the idea that this would bring nothing but rewards to her career and life in general.

"Your excitement doesn't help, Emily. I'm trying my best to keep my composure here." She half-lied while checking her makeup in the moving vehicle.

A gasp filled her ear from the other line of the phone. "Oh crap, sorry about that."

Valentina shook her head, amused.

"Why don't you have your sexy husband entertain you for the day? I'm afraid I've arrived."

"Why do you always have to put that word in every time you talk about him?" She grumbled moodily.

Her lips curled in humor at the idea of poking fun at the woman. "What? He is sexy, isn't he?"

"Y-Yes but…"  

Valentina chuckled at her embarrassment. She could just imagine how red her face was right now.

Poor thing.

"I'm not out to steal what's yours, babe. You can calm down."

Emily sighed.

"I never said you were. If you had been you wouldn't have been dumb enough to sleep with his best friend."

"Anddddd this is where our conversation ends." The woman warned before her finger pressed down on the red icon, ending the call.

It had become a ritual for their phone calls to end like that.

Now that she thought about it, there hadn't been an instance in which they ever hung up on each other amicably.

What a crazy pair we are, she thought with good sentiments.

The door to her side was pulled open and Ray looked at her, eyes tingling in anticipation.

"Get out."

Tossing her hair back, Valentina slung her handbag across her shoulders while stepping out.

She made sure to intentionally knock him to the side while doing so.

The man stumbled and a few curse words left him before he ran after her. 

"Hey, wait up!"

He didn't have to ask her to because she was already doing that much due to the magnificence of the building before her. It was at least ten stories which she had sloppily counted with shaking pupils. Her strained eyesight complained as they caught the reflection of the sun off a particular angle of the massive glass windows.

"Oh, wow." She couldn't help but sigh out in awe.

"It's crazy, isn't it? That a building like this is real. I heard there are only a handful in this area of New York, one being Royal Entertainment's." Her manager blew out from beside her.

"And you know what's even crazier?" 

Her eyes found him at the bait of being given new information.