Episode 3: Nine Lives

The woman threw off her coat and shoes as she made her way into her cozy apartment. As soon as they were gone, her sore body found its way to the couch and flopped down on it like a fish. With a groan, the brunette dug her face into the cushion as she recalled the nasty argument between her and Jason.

She couldn't believe the nerve of him to say the stuff he did to her.

Sure, he had always been a little full of himself in the past two years of knowing him but this was just downright ridiculous.

He had no respect for her profession whatsoever and not only that, he placed his own above it just because he made more money.

It made her furious to even think about it.

People like her worked just as hard, maybe even more than some businessmen like him. It wasn't fair for him to look down on her job just because it looked glamorous and easy on the outside because it was nothing like that in reality.

She had to slave away for days, weeks and months just to reap the rewards of one role from a production which involved her.

It wasn't just a memorize the words, look pretty on screen and go procedure.

Actors and actresses had to fully submerge themselves into their characters and exude an honesty in wanting to be in that space while doing so unless the outcome would not be pretty.

Worst case scenario they would mercilessly get cut from a project without any other explanation than not being good enough because there will always be somebody more hard-working and hungry for the chance to do it when one slacks off.

So, how many lives did Jason think he had to belittle what she did for a living like that?

Surely not fucking nine, she thought bitterly.

And even if the man was the pussy he was acting like, she was positive he had already used up all those chances.

He was cutting it short now and it was getting on her last nerves.

In times like this she really wondered if it was the right thing to marry someone like him.

It wasn't bad to be confident in and love one's self but an excessive amount of it can be detrimental, not only to him but the people surrounding him.

Narcissism ran deep in his blood and there were many moments in which he perceived himself almost Godlike and for her to worship.

She hated it more than anything else about him.

Valentina had convinced herself that everyone had their shortcomings and that Jason was simply putting on haughty airs to impress her but as time went by it seemed to be more than that.

He truly thought he was better than most people.

A disappointed sigh left her as the ache within her chest spread rapidly.

In the next minute of being consumed by her thoughts, the phone on the small table before her began to ring.

She bent her head to see who it was with the intention of not answering if it was Jason begging for her to forgive him like he always did after fights like this but...it was her mother.

In one swift motion, she had the device to her ear after swiping the green icon to answer.

"¡Hola, ! ¿Como estas?"

Her mother's comparatively subdued voice came from the other line. "Si digo que estoy haciendo bien eso sería una mentira."