V

Cole and Jay had always been like this since they knew one another. They met in 1st grade, having all the fun they could possibly have with each other, until their little falling out in 8th grade when Cole came out as gay.

Jay didn't really understand it, he didn't know what it meant at all. He was lowkey kind of sheltered, and unlike his peers, didn't really understand, or focus of that sort of thing. So, when Cole came out, he was a little confused, asking all sorts of ignorant, but kind of justified questions

Why do you like boys?

So you don't wanna date a girl ever?

Can a girl change you back?

So you like...penises...?

What did your dad say?

What did your mom say?

Do people bully you?

How did you know?

Do you like being gay?

Cole! It's the LBGQ right?

Are you still gay or did you meet a pretty girl yet?

What if a girl looks like a man? Would you date her?

Are we just friends because you like me?

And honestly, Cole didn't know the answer to that last one.

Did he like Jay? Yeah.

Did he wanna hug Jay? Yeah.

Did he wanna kiss Jay? ...Yeah.

But did he also wanna stay as friends and make sure none of his newfound gayness made him do anything stupid? Unfortunately, yeah.

And for that reason alone, Cole distanced himself from Jay. It was the only option in his little 14 year old brain. Because the more he accepted himself for what he was, the more he began to realize he had feelings for a certain redheaded boy.

Jay was confused. Why did Cole leave? Maybe he really was using him for what could've been his dream relationship...or maybe he finally got tired like most people did. Whatever the reason was, Jay couldn't ask, Cole was gone like the wind.

It was years later that they met again, they were about 16 and 17, and training in the art of using their elemental powers to become ninja. It was weird, seeing each other again after all they went through together, but it was Cole who tried to become friends again, and Jay who didn't think as highly of him as he used to.

There were days where if Cole even uttered another two words Jay was gonna knock his lights out, and there were days where the two had what seemed like their most normal conversations in years.

Things finally started to simmer down inside the freckled boy and he let Cole talk to him more and more, day by day. Soon, Cole was back in the friendzone with Jay, right where he knew he belonged.

Even later, after that, there were no longer two. A stoic looking boy with blonde hair and bright blue eyes began training with them under the element of ice. He was an odd one, most certainly, but he balanced the two joksters out and acted as their friend. Over time, they unconsciously grew to love him, even if he didn't really know what that meant.

Then came Number 4, a cocky brunette with a spitfire tongue and the confidence of ten gods. Though his feet showed immense tears of battle scars and large craters of worn out calluses, he walked with pride, and so did his sister.