III

changmin sat across from chanhee, taking awkward glances at each other every now and then as they both ate.
     they were both silent as the adults were the one doing most of the talking.
     "so, chanhee, how old are you?" changmins mother asked, clearly trying to start up a conversation between the two.
     "oh, um i just turned 17 in april, yeah." chanhee responded after he finished chewing his food.
     "ah, really? changmin turns 17 in november actually! you two are the same age, thats great to hear." changmins mother said.
     chanhee smiled and nodded softly, not saying much after.
     "you know, changmin hasnt had anybody to hang out with this past decade that we've been coming to this beach house. its nice to finally have you here, changmin can have a friend to hang out with."
     chanhee nodded again, "ah, i see. well im willing to be changmins friend then, for the next 3 months."
     the two glanced at each other as chanhee gave the younger a tight-lipped smile, changmin returning the smile. another awkward interaction after about a hundred of them.
     "changmin are you done with your food?" changmins father asked, changmin nodding in response. "why dont you take chanhee upstairs, get to know him a bit while the adults talk."
      changmin nods softly and gets up, looking to chanhee who also got up before following him upstairs to the youngers room.