Exes - Bennett

a/n : bennett is a bit more older in this chapter! he's aged up <3 i'd also like to think that reader or y/n's past relationship was a healthy one but had to break it off for other reasons :>

pairing : gn!reader + Bennett
warnings // tags : not proofread, mention of exes and past relationships, modern!au, bennett's bad luck, bit of angst, fluff
word count : 1107 words

"Bennett, are you sure you want that flavour?" You ask him in assurance as he looks at you with a smile on his face and a thumbs up.

"Don't worry, Y/N. I gotta explore my tastes too!" He says. You're convinced that he was telling the truth and so you just sigh and let him order your ice creams.

He walked to your table that you had waited on in advance, your eyes sparkling at the pretty ice creams. They were set out so nicely, with all the sprinkles and the syrup. They even had those cute little wafers on them!

You grabbed your own cup and so did he. The first scoop from your ice cream was absolutely divine.

"This is amazing." You gape in awe. "How's yours?"

"This is... so- so good!" He hesitates and stammers, holding back a gag.

You laugh and realize what he's trying to do of course. He wasn't really the most subtle with showing how he felt about the ice cream.

"I did ask you if you really did want that flavour!" You try to hold back your laugh so as not to to catch the attention of other people. Getting out a water bottle from your bag and handing it to him.

You felt deja vu from this exact scene, felt like it had happened before and that's when it clicked.

"This reminds me of when my ex did the same thing." You laugh as you wipe away any excess ice cream he had. He made quite a bit of a mess of himself.

Bennett keeps quiet with your remark and just let you do your thing. His mood suddenly soured from the mention of your ex but he tries his best not to let it show.

He did a bad job, you obviously noticed the way his mood dampened and you frantically wave your hands and shake your head as if to deny whatever was going through his head.

"But it's nothing! It was just something funny I remembered, okay?" You assure him and attempt to fix his hair to get his mind off of it. Slicking his hair back.

He smiles back at your reassuring words and hugs you, nuzzling the crook of your neck and holding onto you so tight, so that you would hopefully never leave him.

"It's nothing, Y/N. Don't worry."

———

Bennett still remembered that day crystal clear. The same situation happened with his ex.

It was raining that day so he and his ex both decided to stay at home and just relax in each other's presence. Bennett felt so at peace. Blankets wrapped around him and her as they both sipped on their hot choco.

"Thanks for keeping me company, Benny." She sweetly called with a smile. Although looking back at it, it was probably a fake one.

Bennett smiles warmly at her, feeling solemn and safe. Felt like nothing could ruin that moment.

How wrong of him that was.

"My ex used to do this with me. I'm still sad about it." She reminisces bitterly. Bennett remains unbothered with her words though.

She, for some reason, is weirded out. She chuckles lightly and asks. "Why are you smiling?"

"I'm just happy you're with me, that's all. Your ex lost such a beautiful girl like yourself." He remarks with a slight blush tinting his cheeks as fits of laughter came from her.

"Yeah. You won't have to worry."

"Really won't have to at all! He was your ex for a reason, that should be enough of an assurance."

——

"You... you lied to me!" Bennett raised his voice at her as she just carelessly clung onto her ex's arm.

"You said I didn't have to worry, what the hell is this?" He questioned, tears pooling in his eyes as he attempted himself to stop crying.

"Look at yourself, Bennett. You have bruises all over because of how unlucky you are." She retorts back, pointing and gesturing to his entire body.

Bennett freezes and takes a moment to look at himself. His arms were covered with purple blotches, bandaids placed in multiple places of his legs. His face wasn't exactly clean of bruises either.

"I'm tired of treating you. It's tiring coming home to you and you have new bruises." Her words stung. Hit Bennett like a bullet to the heart. Luck really is just never on his side, huh?

"Go find someone else who can handle you. We're done."

——

Having the same situation happen similarly just now made him feel anxious. He felt scared. That was why he hugged you so tight, he thought he was gonna lose someone he loved once more.

He prayed, on his knees even, that nothing would ruin this. Even if he had the worst luck.

"Okay there, big guy. That's a bit too tight." You chuckled worryingly as you tap his back to signal him to let you go.

He frees you from his embrace immediately and chuckles, embarrassed. Rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. "Sorry! I zoned out there."

You giggle a bit and pinch his cheeks lightly. "You really shouldn't worry about my ex though. He's my ex for a reason. I love you and no one else, got that?"

Bennett just about felt his heart stop at the sound of your words. His eyes sparkled, it was so obvious he got embarrassed from your words with the red tinting his cheeks. It wasn't at all subtle!

Your booming laugh fills his ears. His reaction was priceless to you, you should've caught that on camera. "You're so cute. I want to put you in my pocket."

He snaps out of his love daze and smiled back at you, placing a kiss on your lips. Then your cheeks and then your forehead. "I'm gonna eat your ice cream."

You gasp. "How dare you! You thief!"

Bennett was gonna have the words you just said a moment ago engraved in his heart. The same words he said to his ex before, were also told by you to him.

He thinks that it's enough. That's more than enough of a reassurance for him. As long as he was you that he loved in this moment, that was enough.

——
this is so short but i hope u guys still like it ☹️

BENNETT ILYSM IM SO SORRY,, also how is everyone's attempt on getting eula n albedoo? :O