Unlikely Alliances

Hours passed after the incident and the shady environs of a crooked police precinct were getting to him. Drew watched from the other side of the glass as three officers interrogated Casper. At 7 am when the sun started to peak over the monstrous corporate buildings the assaulted policeman entered the room now making it four of them. The whole gang arrived shortly after to join Drew on his side of the glass; Penelope, Tammy, Cipher, and even Katherine. They could tell by the body language that the officers were giving Cas a really hard time like they had when he and his father were arrested a few years ago. Luckily they didn't smack him around this time as it seemed they had greater plans.

"Hey!" Drew shouted as he watched the young lady officer walk by him with a few cups of coffee in her hand.

She turned and looked at him, instantly recognizing who he was.

"Uhm, hi..." She said nervously.

"You know this is bullshit right? You were there, I was there, your partner almost killed my brother for no good reason. Why aren't you speaking up? He's innocent."

The young lady swallowed spit before stammering as she tried to answer, "I...I... I'm sorry about all this... but rest assured justice will be served. I'm sure they're getting to the bottom of what really happened."

As she said that, Katherine approached her in her shakingly and terrifyingly angered stated.

"Listen to me young lady, if you know better, do better... and don't let these people take you for granted, do you want to be getting coffee for everyone and covering up lawful murders for the rest of your career?! Fix it! Or I swear...."

"Mom!" Penelope stopped her in her tracks. She stepped in the gap between her mother- in- law and the police officer.

"Give us a few minutes," she said again to Kat as she walked off with the officer. Glancing her badge, she addressed her.

"Leanna, that's a pretty name. You're nervous, aren't you?"

The officer answered with a slight chuckle, "What gave it away? My shaking hands or my stuttering?"

Penelope smiled with her, surprisingly she was level headed.

"I was you once, in a place surrounded by big bad wolves who took advantage of me. Trust me, I wouldn't be the woman I am today if I didn't cut their balls off...... figuratively speaking of course!" she quickly added.

"Anyway, what I'm saying is you have to stand up for yourself, stand up for the innocent man in there right now who you swore an oath to protect."

She then placed her hand on the young officer's shoulder and went to rejoin her little family. A few moments later the officers in the interrogation room called for Leanne to give her statement as the other officer on duty at the time of the assault. Another hour or so passed and with muffled expressions of anger, the gang saw them release Casper. The captain of the precinct approached them moments after Casper reunited with the group to extend an apology for the trouble caused and assured them the guilty officer would be suspended.

"Suspended!? Wow, he almost killed my son and all he gets is a suspension?" an angered Katherine spoke again.

Her voice died out as Casper walked away, approaching Leanne. She glimpsed him coming towards her and turned away as anxiety ate her up. Amid all the adversity seeing that managed to make him smile.

"Thank you," he said, she spun around to face him as he continued, "Listen, I know what it's like with these sharks. If you ever find yourself in trouble and the crooked cops can't come to your rescue, give me a call."