Chapter 11

Enjoy :) 

“So what’s been up with you and Rosen, El?” Lee asked curiously. Josh looked somewhat confused, but Tristan and Abbey didn’t react at all so I gathered Ara or Lynn had filled them in. The crickets were singing all around us, as we squinted at each other through the dim light offered by the single street lamp above us. Some people would probably get skeeved out at being out so late with our town being so empty and desolate, but to us that just made it more comforting. Being surrounded by a peaceful quiet with only the occasional car rolling on down the streets made all the problems and worries go away, even if just for a little while.

“We haven’t really talked much since the other night,” I replied back with a shrug. “Just texted a few times.” okay, so I lied a little bit here. Rosen and I had texted more than just a few times. The conversations we had were pointless, and mostly revolved around him asking me about local places or things to do in this town. I hadn’t really considered them as real conversations, so I didn’t consider this communication we had with each other anything special.

“You need to make the first move. You know, show you’re interested and whatnot,” Tristan offered, and I practically spit out my ice cream at the face Josh made as he looked at us. His expression was filled with confusion from being out of the loop. I started to laugh and the others finally caught on, laughing along with me as they realized Josh had been missing out on a lot because of his basketball practices.

“Okay, can someone please explain?” Josh frowned, looking between us all. I looked to Lynn, knowing that  she could sum everything up pretty well.

“We all kind of came up with and agreed on this plan to help Ellie get out there a bit more and be more adventurous. Our main goal is to get her to go out with Rosen for the summer, since it would be like good practice before college and whatever,” Lynn explained in a rush. Josh stared at her, slowly processing everything.

“Oh,” was all Josh said at first, before a lightbulb went off in his head. “OH, Rosen is the guy we played basketball with!” He suddenly exclaimed. We all laughed, and Abbey started doing a slow sarcastic clap for him.

“You’re so behind on everything,” Ara muttered.

“We should totally invite Rosen to come join us one of these nights,” Lynn chimed in. We all shot her looks of disbelief.

“No way, we have a rule,” Josh countered back, the light atmosphere starting to swirl. I remained quiet, not wanting to fuel any arguments.

“Josh is right, we all agreed not to bring anybody else with us. It doesn’t matter how important they are, or if it’s supposed to help Ellie,” Abbey voiced her opinion. My face drew together at her words, a frown tugging on my face.

“Ellie doesn’t need help,” Ara snapped suddenly. “There isn’t anything wrong with her, but if she wants to change we are going to assist in any way we can. We’re her friends, that’s what friends do,” Her tone was laced with an icy coldness that made me clench my napkin in my fist tightly.

“I didn’t say we weren’t going to help her with it, just that Rosen doesn’t need to come here to do that. This is our spot,” Abbey replied, her voice void of anger or emotion. She was trying to keep her cool.

“You guys are being idiots,” Tristan suddenly said, glaring at everyone.

“I was only joking, jeesh.” Lynn mumbled, and Lee rested his hand on the small of her back reassuringly.

“So….how about that new ice cream flavour guys?” I chimed in, hoping to lighten the mood. Everyone let out small laughs, and as quick as that the tension flew away. It wasn’t often we fought, but lately everyone was pretty stressed and we tended to take it out on each other.

“So this is how the blender works, and make sure the top is on super tight before you turn it on. I learned that the hard way one time,” Kayla said with a laugh. Today was the first day of Ara’s and I’s training. Kayla had left four years ago for college, got her degree in environmental science, and is now back in town managing the milkshake shop. That is what happens to most people who try to leave our little town of Shorley, they always come back.

Ara and I shared a glance, both of us nodding in understanding. The job really wasn’t too difficult to comprehend, and I was starting to actually look forward to working here.

“I’m going to go grab some extra stuff from the back, and then I’ll show you guys how to make a milkshake,” Kayla explained with a smile, hurrying off inside a door that has blocky words written in sharpie reading staff only.

I leaned against the countertop, drumming my nails over the marble and making a clicking sound. The door opened with a chime, and we both glanced up in surprise at seeing someone here so early in the day. Usually noon is when people start to meander their way inside to grab something to drink.

“Hey,” Rosen said, surprise written across his face. “You work here?” I glanced over at Ara, who was now conveniently texting on her phone.

“We just started today actually,”  I replied with a small smile as Rosen leaned against the counter across from me. “I haven’t seen you around much lately,” I said suddenly, surprising even myself as I noticed from the corner of my eye Ara pause from texting. Rosen took it in stride, scratching the back of his neck.

“Yeah, I’ve been hanging out with Cole. I meant to call you, but I guess I ran into you before I got that far,” He replied breezily, a grin plastered across his face. Kayla came out from the back ground, and I immediately straightened, not wanting her to think I was slacking.

“Ellie, why didn’t you tell me we had a customer so I could help them,” Kayla voice was strained as she nudged me out of the way to take Rosen’s order. “I’m so sorry about that, she’s new.” Kayla waved it off, and I noticed Rosen’s smile dip.

“I was actually just going to ask Ellie when she was free next,” He replied, his gaze drawing back to mine. Kayla startled, her face turning a deep shade of red as she looked between us and drawing in her own realizations. I looked over at Ara, who had now put her phone away completely and was giving me an expectant look.

“um,” I drawled, thinking of how to reply. “I get off at 4?” I offered him questioningly.

“Perfect,” He answered with a smile. “can I just get a bottled water?” He turned to Kayla, throwing a few waded up bills on the counter. She nodded, grabbing him one and giving him some change.

Rosen reached acrossed the counter and flicked my name tag. “I’ll pick you up as soon as you get off,” He said with a grin as he started walking out the door. “bye Ellie! I look forward to our date,” He called with a wink as he walked out the door, leaving me staring at Ara with my mouth agape.

WOOO! Hope you liked this Chapter. Hmmm wonder what Rosen has planned ;)