Chapter 12

“Okay, since you didn’t specify what type of date you were going on, I brought everything from mountain climbing to formal dance wear,” Lynn said, throwing down a pile of clothes from my closet onto a nearby table. Ara and I hurried from behind the counter, crowding around the lump of fabrics and bag of shoes. Ara squealed, already picking through the clothes, but I just gave an aggravated sigh. As soon as Rosen left, little did I know that Ara texted Lynn and had her get some clothes for me so I could change out of my work uniform.

“First off, I only think he was joking about the date thing. Second, he didn’t say where we were going, so I think I should just go casual,” I commented, staring at the clothes being tossed off to the side by Ara who had deemed them unworthy. Both girls ignored me, and I glanced back at Kayla behind the counter who simply shrugged and went back to reading a magazine.

“Oh my gosh El, I totally forgot you had these! You haven’t worn them since last summer,” Ara exclaimed, turning around and holding up one of my favorite pair of shorts.

“I thought I lost those,” I said, a big smile overtaking my face as I grabbed the highwaisted shorts and held them up against me.

“They were behind your shoe bin,” Lynn replied with a laugh, coming over to inspect the shorts closer. I dug through and found a loose black T-shirt with a big daisy on the front, holding both items with a smile.

“This was like my favorite outfit last year,” I said with a grin. “I’m wearing it.” I gave no room for argument, as I slipped off into the bathroom to change. I jumped around a bit as I tugged my skirt and shoes off, kicking them off to the side as I pulled up the shorts. Before I buttoned them up, I made sure to tuck in the shirt thoroughly so you couldn’t see any lines through the shorts. Once I had the shorts buttoned, I looked in the mirror as I gently pulled on the shirt so it hung loosely around my frame and over the top of the shorts.

I smiled at my reflection, undoing the braid in my hair so it fell in soft waves across my back. I couldn’t help but feel butterflies in my stomach as I thought about the possibility of actually going on a date with Rosen.

Once I had my shoes back on, I walked out of the bathroom with my work uniform in my arms. Lynn had already stuffed all the clothes back into a bag, and she smiled at me when she saw me emerge.

“I always loved that outfit on you,” She clicked her tongue, looking me over with a smile. I tucked my uniform in the bag, and placed it on a chair so it was out of the way. Lynn went back to texting, and I glanced at Ara who was back behind the counter again. She had told me she decided to stay and hang out with Kayla for the rest of the day, since it seemed to be pretty slow.

“I’m going to head out, Lee wants me to go to his for dinner tonight,” Lynn said with a sigh, still looking at her phone. “I’ll drop your stuff off at your house El,” I nodded my thanks as Lynn grabbed the bags and left, still typing vigorously on her phone. I was hoping that they hadn’t gotten into a fight, because their fights tended to be pretty brutal. Thankfully, they didn’t happen often and usually resolved in a few days if they did.

“Don’t forget this,” Ara suddenly said, tossing me my wallet from behind the counter. I stuffed it into my pocket and gave a relieved sigh.

“That would’ve sucked if I forgot it,” I replied back, spinning around when the door chimed. Rosen sauntered in, fiddling with something in the front pocket of his dark jeans. He glanced up, eyes meeting mine, and a big smile overtook his face.

“Hey Ellie May,” He said, sidling up next to me and holding out his arm. “You ready to get this date on a roll,” He winked at me, and I rolled my eyes in reply, linking my arm through his.