Chapter 44

I hope you all are having a wonderful New Year! So sorry it took forever to get this chapter up. My winter break was a bit hectic. :) Regular updates should resume. 

Thanks! 

I awoke to the sound of gunfire. Jumping from my cot, I glanced around my empty cell room in alarm. Greg wasn't inside, and I had no clue if he was still stationed outside my door like he was supposed to be. The distant sound of the bangs eased my conscience, as I knew that whoever was shooting wasn't close by. But they had to be on this floor, or there was no way I would have heard them. I stood up and flipped on the lightswitch to illuminate my room, staring at the blank wall and trying to concentrate on what to do.

It seemed like the amount of gunfire increased, and my heartbeat raced. Swallowing, I knocked on the solid metal door that separated me from the hallway.

"Greg?" I called out, hitting my palm against the smooth surface repeatedly. The sound echoed in the small room, but there was no answer.

Suddenly, my cell plunged into blackness, and I could hear the blood whooshing in my ears. My throat felt dry, and I was too afraid to yell for Greg again. I began to hear the sounds of screams and shouting, the noise stabbing me in the gut like a dull knife.

Something was very wrong.

A siren started blaring from the hallway, and I had to cover my ears to block out the shrillness of it.

In aggravation, I kicked at the door. I had to get out of here. I felt like an animal trapped in a cage waiting to be slaughtered. But there was no way I would be able to open this by myself.

I swallowed back a scream when the door suddenly swung open, and Greg peered at me. His face was tight with fear and I could see the panic laced in his wide eyes.

"What's going on?" I screamed to be heard over the siren that continues to blare on. Now that the door was open, I could see that the hallway was also pitch black except for a few red emergency lights.

"Someone's attacking the building. The council ordered you to be evacuated along with Rosen, Cole, and all the kids. The rest will stay behind to fight." Greg explained hurriedly. He stepped into the room and glanced around as if I may have had any personal belongings that needed to be collected. But I had nothing.

"Who would attack?" I questioned, confused. I didn't think the Def had any enemies, or anyone even strong enough to take them on.

"I don't know." Greg said frustrated. I watched as his eyes darted around the room, and he clutched onto the assault rifle in his hands. He was freaked out, which only scared me more. "We have to go. Now." I didn't argue.

Timidly stepping into the hall, I let Greg go first and make sure the coast was clear before we proceeded. The gunshots could still be heard, but they began to fade into background noise as my brain focused on getting out of this place alive.

Maybe this was Rosen's plan. But there is no way he could have pulled this stunt off alone. Someone would have had to help him. Also, I had only spoken to Rosen two days ago, he would have told me if he had something planned so soon.

Greg spoke into a small walkie talkie. "I got her. Heading towards the breeder cafeteria now. Be ready to escort us down the stairs," His voice was gruff, winded and out of breath. I wondered if it was from fear or if he had to run to get to me.

When we finally reached the entrance to the breeder wing, I was horrified. There were bodies littered everywhere, and blood smeared across the tiled flooring. I noted that the people who lay unmoving consisted of both Def members, breeders, and some men wearing plain clothes. The guy who had checked me in when I first had arrived was slumped in front of the desk, his eyes still open as blood trickled from the red hole in his forehead.