Chapter 28

I slunk down low in the backseat, pulling the hat down to help shield my eyes. Rosen and Cole were currently taking me to go get some clothes, since on the last shopping trip they didn't know my size. I also wasn't aloud then to go anywhere, but I guess they'd rather take their chances with the Def than leave me alone with Knox.

Thankfully, after I had thrown an apple at his head, Knox had pretty much left me alone.

I was currently wearing a pair of sweatpants far too big for me, an oversized sweatshirt, a baseball cap, and some sunglasses. Apparently, my hair and overall appearance was very noticeable. Leaving Rosen and Cole worried that someone would recognize me from the news and call the cops. Especially since my story had somehow found its way to national news. I didn't understand why I was the missing person who got thrown onto national television. Maybe it was because of the storyline of my supposed boyfriend and his friend being the ones who took me.

Anyhow, this left avoiding the cops a lot more difficult than Rosen and Cole had expected. A part of me was relieved that everyone was worried about me, that they were searching for me. I wanted to be rescued.

But then I would remember the warning Rosen had given me. If the Def thought Rosen and Cole would track me down again, figuring I had left with the police unwillingly and wanted to go back, then that could put myself and my family in danger. I would still be connected to the boys, meaning that the Def would want to use me to trap them.

I had to admit that some of their reasoning made no sense to me. Why did it matter if I went back home today, or a week from now. Wouldn't the Defaecatio realize Rosen and Cole didn't care, and therefore left me on my own back in Shorely. There was still a chance that everything was a lie. That I was going to be held hostage in Amanda's house for the rest of my life. Or maybe that I could never escape from the eyes of the Def now that they've noticed me.

Both of those thoughts constantly chewed at me, setting an anxiety in my stomach that I couldn't shake off.

The car rolled to a stop in a parking space.

"Cole, you go with Ellie. I'll set up a perimeter and warn you if I see anyone." those were the only words Rosen spoke before exiting the car and heading across the pavement towards the front door of the mall.

I looked to Cole who shrugged, and offered me a smile.

"Are you guys that worried someone here will notice me?" I questioned as I firmly shut the car door behind me.

"We always need to take the extra precautions," Cole said. I adjusted the sunglasses on my face, frowning at the idea of wearing them inside. I was going to definitely stand out looking like a hot mess.

As I flipped through the clearance rack, I kept an eye on Cole. He acted as if he was the boyfriend dragged along shopping, playing the part by texting on his phone. In reality, I knew he was well aware of all his surroundings.

I had an armful of pants and shirts, knowing about half of them would most likely end up on the racks. I wasn't buying a new wardrobe, just enough to help me get by. Wearing Amanda's clothes, and any extra boy clothing laying around the house was proving to be uncomfortable. It would be nice to have my own clothes again. Even just the ability to call something mine was precious. I never realized how many of my things I took for granted.

Cole trailed along after me as I went into the dressing room area, I smiled at the fact that there were some other guys waiting on the benches outside.

"Wait," he hissed in my ear when I made the move to go into one of the stalls.

"What," I frowned, rolling my eyes. We had caught the attention of a few people when Cole had grabbed my arm. He noticed also, releasing me.