Chapter 6

“I’m serious El, you should really do it,” Ara said to me while flipping through a stack of Cds on my dresser. I rolled my eyes, but paused for a moment to think it over. “You always complain to me and Lynn about how much you hate being called naive, and this is your chance to fix that. Think about it, you could have a different name in  this town for your senior year,” She paused to look at me over her shoulder. “ It’s just a summer fling, not a big deal,”

Not a big deal, right.

I sighed and banged my head back against the headboard. I winced at the sting of pain in my scalp. “Ouch,” I muttered. Ara turned around and raised her eyebrows at me, then we both let out a laugh. My phone dinged and Ara and I both glanced at each other before diving towards the phone. “It’s mine aha!” I yelled and held the phone above my head. Ara tackled me to the bed, and pinned me down while reaching for the phone. I started kicking and yelling as we rolled over the sheets in an epic battle for the phone.

This had been going on for the past half an hour, but each time Ara got disappointed when she read my text to find it was just one of our friends.

In a moment of triumph, I turned the screen on to see who texted me but that was when Ara grabbed it and ran. “ARA MARIE MARTIN,” I yelled chasing her out of the room. She laughed maniacally and locked herself into the bathroom. I started banging on the door loudly. “At least tell me who texted,” I grumbled.

“It’s him,” She replied through the door in a singsong voice. My head perked up and I resumed pouding my fist against the wooden door. 

“Please open it, I don’t want him to get scared by you,” Isaid pleadingly. she remained silent for a few moments as I continued to beg her to open the door. Suddenly, the door swung open and I had to jump back so as not to be hit by it. My dad had repainted all the doors last summer, but when he put them back he did it the wrong way. Now all our doors opened out instead of in.

“Chillax, I just told him how much you were obsessing over him,” Ara said with a grin. I rolled my eyes and scowled at her, taking back the phone from her outstretched hand.

‘hey hey Ellie May. (look, it rhymed :)’

I stared at the message from Rosen then I blinked, and blinked again.

‘hey!’ I quickly typed out and hit send. Ara laughed and I felt a blush creep up my neck. I was so pathetic.

“Okay,” I said, setting my phone down on top of my dresser. “Let’s stop obsessing over this. I’m gonna call Lynn and we can go to Mr. Milkshake so we can get out of this house,”

“Sweet, I could so go for an oreo milkshake right now,” Ara groaned and grabbed her bag, slipping her flip flops on faster than i've ever seen her move before. 

“So what you’re saying is that Ellie should date this guy just so people will see her differently?” Lee asked, leaning forward to rest his elbows on the table. I took a sip of my chocolate peanut butter milkshake.

“No, not really. I mean-” Ara started but was interrupted by Lynn.

“I actually think it’s a great idea, and not just because of the whole new reputation thing,” Lynn rolled her eyes. “It would be a good experience for you El, you don’t date much and could use a little experience before college.” I sighed loudly, still not sure how I felt about the idea. “But the reputation part is pretty great. God knows how much i’d like to be known by something other than Lee’s girlfriend. No offense,” She added and knocked his shoulder teasingly. Lee shrugged in understanding.

Lynn and Lee had been together since 8th grade, but were best friends before that. Lynn tried anything to get people to see her as a person and not just Lee’s girlfriend. Even being captain of the track team wasn’t enough.

“I can’t just be in a relationship because I want to,” I rolled my eyes. The three of them stared at me blankly.

“Yes you can.” They all replied at the same time.

I threw my hands up in the air, exasperated. “Then, show me how ‘cause I don't have a flipping clue.” Ara and Lynn glanced at each other, slow smiles grew on their faces. Lee looked as confused as I did.

“Okay, we'll  teach you how to have fun, but have a few rules.” Ara started. I stared at the two girls. Rules? I thought this was supposed to be fun. Lee snorted a laugh, and Lynn hit him to make him shut up.

“First off, no backing out. You can negotiate anything we ask of you, but once you commit you can’t chicken out,” Lynn continued. “second, you have to have fun. No stress or freaking out. We can understand some anxiety, but this is just for fun so relax.”

“That it?” I asked slightly amused. Both girls looked at each other, then nodded.

“Shake on it,” Ara said sticking out her hand. I looked to Lee who shrugged and then stared at Ara’s outstretched hand.

It was only for one summer right? What could possibly go that wrong.

I nodded.

I grabbed Ara’s hand firmly.

 And then I made a commitment that would change my life forever.