Chapter 32

Sitting on the steps outside of the motel, I focused on regulating my breathing to calm down. I didn't snap often, but when I did it was a force to be reckoned with. I skimmed my bare foot against the cracked pavement, sighing. I could really use a girl friend at the moment.

I missed having Ara and Lynn to talk to. I also missed everyone teasing me for being so naive. If only they could see me now. I was on the run from a secret organization, and at the same time rooming it up with two boys. One of whom I seemed to have feelings for.

I had thought all those emotions disappeared when Rosen acted like an asshole after he practically forced me from my hometown. But apparently,as a defense mechanism, my heart went on the backburner while my brain took charge. It seemed now that the roles had switched back to normal again, and my heart was leading my actions. That was the only reasonable explanation to why I kissed Rosen. Scratch that, that was the only reasonable explanation for why I liked Rosen in the first place.

"Can I join you?" Cole asked, coming up behind me and breaking me from my thoughts. I nodded as he took a seat on the step next to me. He didn't say anything for the first few moments, and I was starting to think he wanted me to begin the conversation. "Look, I'm just looking out for Rosen. Him and I are like brothers, and I don't want to see him get invested into something that'll only hurt him in the end."

"I get it," I say softly. "I'll be gone soon and it's pointless anyways," the words tasted like salt in my mouth.

Cole sighed. "I want Rosen to be happy, and I think you make him happy. He seems more... open and laid back with you around. He isn't so paranoid about the Def. As much as I hate to say it," Cole looked at me and met my gaze. "you two seem to be good for each other." I bit my lip, unsure of where he was going with this. "I know that no matter what I say, I can't stop this from happening. But the both of you are just setting each other up for heartbreak."

"Cole, I understand that whatever happens between Rosen and I can't go anywhere. That's why i'm going to try and take a step back." I breathed in deeply. "But it's going to prove harder than I thought. I didn't think I cared about him anymore, but all the feelings came rushing back and ten times worse than they had been in Shorely." I paused, hesitating. "Although none of that matters, because what Rosen said to me back there proves he doesn't actually care."

Cole gave me a sad smile. "Trust me Ellie, I've known Rosen my whole life. He cares. More than he should. He's just pushing back at you since he also realizes this. Hurting people is his best defense mechanism, and he's damn good at it."

"I don't know if that makes me feel much better, but thanks," I said, a small smile coming onto my face. Surprising me, Cole reached over and patted my hand.

"It'll all work out," he reassured before standing up, brushing off his pants. "Coming?" he offered his hand to me and I took it, pulling myself up. I didn't really want to go back in the motel, but it was growing dark and I didn't want to be left outside alone.

I avoided Rosen when I first got back to the room, and instead opted to head into the bathroom to change. When I came out, Rosen was spreading a blanket across the couch.

"I can take the couch," I offered hesitantly. I knew I was the odd one out here and deserved to sleep there.

"It's fine," Rosen waved it off. "We can just do rotations every night." I opened my mouth to protest, but Cole beat me to it.

"Or you two could always share the bed, then everyone is comfy," he sarcastically exclaimed with a grin. Rosen and I both stared at him. Didn't he just tell me he basically didn't want Rosen and me together? Cole held up his hands. "Hey, I gave my speech to the both of you about thinking this is a bad idea. Doesn't mean i'm going to stop it though." Rosen chucked the pillow at his head and I felt my face flush warm.