Chapter 37

Knotting my hair into a braid, I was surprised to see Cole was back in the room. Although, the smell of food that wafted into my senses quickly turned that surprise to thankfulness.

"Thank gosh, i'm so hungry," I moaned, joining both Rosen and Cole as they opened up the plastic bags that held the food. We hadn't ate any supper the night before as we had gotten a late lunch at a gas station just before we checked into our hotel.

I was not going to miss this type of food when I got back to Shorely.

Rosen pulled out a breakfast sandwich and handed it to me, grabbing two for himself. My mouth watered as I peeled back the wrapper and finally took a bite.

"What are we doing today?" I asked after I swallowed half of the sandwich. Rosen took a seat on the bed, while Cole chose to sit in the desk chair. I continued to stand.

"I don't want to be going out today at all, so I think our plan of action is to just stay in here and lay low," Rosen laid out, talking to both Cole and I. It was disappointing that we couldn't go out and explore, get some fresh air or something. A whole day locked inside a hotel room would be interesting.

"I agree. The Def most likely don't know where we are, but let's not take any chances," Cole added. I finished up my sandwich and tossed it in the trash from where I was standing.

"So what do we do to keep ourselves occupied?" I wondered, deciding to sit down on the carpeted flooring. I was pretty sure it hadn't been vacuumed for the last three people who had stayed there, but I really didn't care too much anymore.

I tucked my legs beneath me as I looked to Rosen. He shrugged, but sent me a smile. I wondered briefly what we would be doing if it was just the two of us. I then proceeded to mentally slap myself because although I liked Rosen a lot, I was in no way doing anything super serious with him. At least not so soon in our messed up relationship. If you could even call it that. I had to get my mind out of the gutter.

"We could all talk about our feelings," Cole suggested with a grin, looking pointedly at Rosen and I.

"Don't be a douche," Rosen muttered, scowling and throwing his trash at Cole's head who managed to duck before it made contact. I held back a smile at their banter.

"Okay I was joking, but I do think you two should have a chat. Establish whatever the heck your guy's plan is with the thing between you two." Cole motioned to both Rosen and I, making me blush. Neither of us responded, only sharing a quick glance. I looked down to my bare feet, noticing the chipped red nail polish on my toes.

"Oh," Cole added. "You can just pretend i'm not here,"

"Not helpful," Rosen muttered, seeming agitated.

"I can hide in the bathroom," he suggested back. I scratched my neck, wishing for this discussion to simply end. "If you guys won't talk to each other, then tell me what you hope to get out of this?" his tone quickly spun from joking, to seriousness and I knew he really wanted an answer.

"It's hard to explain why..." I trailed off, unsure of how to respond to his question. Rosen explained for me.

"Cole, I like Ellie," Rosen said bluntly, making my face grow hot. "I care about her, and i'm not going to pretend that I don't anymore. We don't know what's going to happen between us, but we can't just ignore that we have feelings for each other," I couldn't help but smile at hearing that. Rosen hadn't outright told me how he felt about me, and I had to say that it felt good to hear and be validated that he cared for me.

"You know how this will end," Cole stated sadly, shaking his head.

"But we don't know," I interrupted. "We can't be sure that whatever this is will end badly. Maybe the Def will leave you guys alone and give up.