Chapter 21

Rosen had told me he and Cole would meet me at the bon fire. I hadn't realized how nervous I had been until my hands started cramping up from gripping the steering wheel so tightly. It seemed like the pressure of everything I had been hiding about Rosen was suffocating me, and I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up the charade much longer. I wasn't directly lying to them, but I was indirectly and that was too much for me to handle. Especially now that my friends had suddenly taken a slight hesitation towards him after learning how reclusive he seemed to be.

Almost immediately after I had stepped onto the boardwalk that led to the beach, Josh and Ara found me. They led me over to our other friends, and I readjusted the shoulder bag I was wearing that stored my keys and my wallet. I only half listened in to the conversation they were having, too distracted by checking my phone and looking around to see if Rosen was here yet.

"I'm sure he'll be here," Abby muttered softly, giving me a reassuring smile as she touched my arm gently. I nodded my thanks, thankful for her picking up on my anxiety. Abby has always been the thoughtful friend.

It didn't go past my notice when I saw Lee and Lynn standing near to each other. They still were tense, but at least there had been some progress made.

"Ellie bear let's go swimming," Josh suddenly yelled, running towards me out of nowhere and picking me up by my waist. He swung me around with a laugh before tucking me against him as if I weighed nothing.

"Josh, no!" I squealed in protest but at the same time couldn't stop laughing as the shore rose up over his feet. Our friends were all watching us amused, and a few other people at the party had heard the commotion.

"hell no this is cold," he suddenly protested, jumping back onto the dry sand. "I won't give you hypothermia so you die." He shivered, setting me back on my feet. I pushed him hard on the chest with a laugh as he grinned. The night air was pretty cold tonight, so I had no doubt the water was freezing. It made me regret my choice of wearing shorts and a tank top, but at least I had a sweater over it.

"Well thanks for being so considerate," I huffed, rolling my eyes as I brushed some sand off my legs. When Josh had grabbed me, my bag had slipped off my shoulder, and was now lying on the sand. I sighed, picking it up and praying that there wasn't sand all over the inside.

When I dug my phone out to inspect it, I saw I had a new text and my heart sunk.

Rosen: Can't make it tonight... family emergency. We caught a flight back to New York tonight. Sorry :(

My heart rate picked up speed as a million thoughts fled through my head. Was he coming back? No, that was shallow to think of first. I should be more worried about his family, but I couldn't help but ponder if I would ever see Rosen Parker again. Summer was almost halfway over, and this emergency could mean he wouldn't be able to come back.

I clutched my phone tightly, hardly able to bear the realization at how quickly things could be over. I was expecting another month and a half with Rosen and for him to be gone so quickly made me realize how much I was starting to crush on him.

I thought I made a promise to myself to not get attached.

"Ellie?" Josh asked tentatively, all traces of his humour gone as he walked up to me. "You aren't really mad about that are you?" I couldn't help the bubble of choked laughter that broke through me as I shook my head. Our friends must have noticed my sudden shift as they all made their way towards me, gathered around in concern.

Ara budged her way right up next to me and stole my phone to read the message. Her face immediately softened and she pulled me into a hug.

"Oh Ellie," She murmured into my neck, her sympathy radiating.