Chapter 16

There was a knock on the front door.

My parents had already gone to bed for the night and I swung the door open, wondering who would be here so late. I was surprised and a bit apprehensive when I came face to face with a young man, most likely in his late twenties. His hair was short and black, spiked up at the front of his head.  He looked friendly, but I didn't recognize him. "um, hello," I said, only keeping the door open halfway.

"Hi," He replied, a grin forming on his face. "You're a friend of Rosen's right?" my eyes narrowed slightly, and I shifted my feet on the hardwood floor. Rosen had never mentioned anyone else staying with him, so I was a bit confused as to why this man was here. I nodded slowly, not saying anything more. "I was just wondering if you knew where he was? He's not here, is he?" The guy asked. I opened the door up a bit wider, only just noticing the cast on the man's right foot and the crutch he leaned against.  

"No, he said he was going to be gone a few days...How do you know we know each other and where I live?" I asked cautiously, trying to seem casual. The man's smile wavered, and my senses went on high alert.

"I'm a good friend of his and he told me he was dating a girl named Ellie in Shorely. I know it may seem weird but I looked you up hoping I could get ahold of Rosen, and there aren't a lot of Ellie's in this town. I have something really important to tell him, but he refuses to meet me." I blinked a few times, processing everything that he said. Why would Rosen be refusing to see this guy unless it was for a good reason? I inched the door closed again a little more. "Can you just tell him that Knox is looking for him? He'll know how to get ahold of me." I nodded slowly, watching him cautiously.

"I'll let him know," I said, wondering if I should wait to tell Rosen in person or text him tonight.

"Thanks," Knox nodded, hobbling backwards a step. I nodded also, closing the door slowly. Before the door was completely shut, I peaked through the crack to see Knox limp down the sidewalk, leaning heavily on his crutch as he disappeared into the night.

Ellie: Someone named Knox came to my house today... he said he wanted to talk to you. Rosen: Don't talk to him. I'll get him to leave you alone.

Rosen hadn't texted me for any of the other days he was gone. I was hoping he was mad at Knox being at my house, and was just getting some space to settle down. He was back in town yesterday, but I was working all day so we couldn't hang out. Tonight, he was coming over for dinner with my parents. I texted him to let him know it was casual and not to be too freaked out. They weren't overly protective about my dating, and just were genuinely interested in learning about who I was spending my time with. They did the same thing to any new friends I made.

Rosen rang the doorbell and I quickly went to answer it. I was wearing a simple black and white skater dress with my converse shoes. I smiled when I opened the door and saw Rosen. He was wearing a pair of dark jeans and a simple blue T-shirt.

"Hey, long time no see," I said, stepping to the side so he could come in. My mom smiled from the kitchen area and waved while my dad gave a respectful nod from the couch. They wouldn't interrogate him at all throughout the night, but during dinner would probably ask him some simple questions. "We can go up to my room until supper is ready," I said, gesturing towards the stairs. Rosen's tense shoulders relaxed a bit as he realized that this would be a simple night.

"Sounds good," he replied, an easy grin making its way onto his face. He followed me up to my room and I sat down on my bed. I patted the spot next to me and Rosen settled down beside me, our arms brushing. "How was your guys vacation?" I asked with a wide smile, tucking my legs underneath me. Rosen laughed and I felt relieved to see him not still upset over Knox.