Chapter 41

Thank you to justsomeone-random for making me the awesome covers above! So kind of you! If anyone else ever wants to make me any covers, banners, etc for this story just PM me! 

"You both will be going through a re-training program where you learn how you should act as a member of the Defaecatio," the man continued. The council had been continually piping up the consequences that Rosen and Cole would face for deserting. thankfully, none of them included death.

"Outside missions will be withheld until you can be trusted," another member spoke, reading from a paper. Apparently, they had planned everything out before they even stepped foot into the room. The paper was passed to the 24th member of the Def.

"Your rehabilitation program will be held here, and you will not return to home base until it has ended." Twenty four rules, one for each member of the council.

I tried to catch Rosen's eye, but he hadn't even acknowledged me since the punishments began being listed. I watched as his shoulders slumped, his body hunched in on himself.

They were being trapped, and forced to be brainwashed back to the ways of the Def. Although so far the Defaecatio had been unsuccessful with Rosen and Cole, it would only be so long before they broke.

The middle man who had first began talking stood again, turning his squinting gaze to me. I tried not to flinch.

"Now, this...girl," I wanted to supply my name, but figured it was better to stay silent. "Since she knows of the Defaecatio she cannot be let go. But, because I know you have formed a fondness for her Rosen, we will spare her life." Rosen didn't seem to look elated at his words. Finally, he looked at me. And my heart broke.

I could see the helplessness, the guilt, the fear in his face. He was feeling all of this because of me. I wanted to tell him I didn't hold it against him, that whatever happened I would forgive him.

I never would have wanted to leave Shorely with him in the first place, but a small part of me was glad it happened. I had never experienced what I had with Rosen before, and I wasn't sure how to explain the feeling. I wouldn't call it love quite yet, but it was definitely something special.

"The girl will stay here until you both have completed the re-training. But she will become a breeder, and will be shipped back along with you to live her life with the other breeders on home base."

"No," Rosen suddenly growled, startling everyone in the room. "You will not expect her to become one of them." His back was ramrod straight now, and he grabbed my hand to pull me closer to his side. I stumbled, but stood with my arm pressed to his and our hands still interlocked.

"You do not speak unless spoken to," the man simply replied, his eyes narrowed into a sneer. "She will become a breeder, or she will die. Ultimately, it will be your actions Rosen that decide her fate. Act up, and we put a bullet in her skull. Take on your appointed role as council member and fulfill your missions, and she will be your breeder and yours alone."

I wanted to throw up or pass out, I wasn't quite sure which. I was praying my assumption of a 'breeder' was incorrect.

"You know that men of the Defaecatio do not participate in love or relationships. We are a brotherhood and that is the only relationship you need. Do not mistake this as an opportunity to love this girl, because any confrontations beyond this room will be anything but love." I shivered at the darkness in his voice, and I gripped tightly onto Rosen's hand.

Cole remained silent, but even he had an expression of disgust on his face.

I spoke up.

"What does being a breeder mean?" I asked tentatively, no longer able to keep my curiosity at bay. Rosen shot me a sharp look for speaking out of turn.