Chapter 19

"I think we really need to talk about your future," my dad stated, folding his hands and sharing a glance with my mom. They both shifted anxiously in their seats, clearly uncomfortable with having to deal with this. "Mia had everything planned out by now, but you still aren't even sure if you want to go out of state or not. You don't necessarily have to know what you want to major in, but at least decide where you want to go." of course he would compare me to my sister Mia. She was one of those people who knew what they were destined to do since they were in diapers. Her teachers would scold her for doodling dresses on the margins of her homework, and her most treasured birthday gift was a sewing machine from Grandma. I, on the other hand, jumped from activity to activity but found nothing that really belonged to me. I didn't have a college that I had always dreamed of attending, or a city I've always wanted to live in. I was simply Ellie Charleston from Shorley. Nothing less and nothing more.

It's kind of funny how quickly things can change.

As the days passed since my parents had returned home, I found it harder to keep the night of the alley from them. They kept asking me how Rosen and I had met, making the guilt gnaw away at my soul. I had never kept something so big from my parents, but I was too afraid to tell them the truth. Every time I thought about bringing it up, my mouth just couldn't form the words. I ended up making sure I was extra busy so I wouldn't have to face their questioning, or even the constant nagging about colleges. There was a small stack of college papers that had already started to pile up on the dining table.

"Miss I ordered a mango smoothie, this is strawberry," an elderly lady interrupted my daydreaming. He lip was curled up as she stared at the cup in her hands.

"I'm so sorry about that, I'll get you a new one and throw in a coupon for the inconvenience," Kayla interceded, taking the cup from the lady and already making a new one. "Are you okay Ellie? You seem a bit out of it today," Kayla questioned as she started the blender. Ara was at a family reunion, leaving the shop to Kayla and I. Rubbing my forehead, I sighed.

"I've had a lot of pressure on me lately," I admitted. On top of all the stress from home, Lee and Lynn were still in the midst of a fight. Both of them were being incredibly stubborn. Our whole group hadn't hung out in over a week, and no plans for a Dairy Queen night were being made. I missed everyone, and although I had Rosen, he couldn't be around all the time.

"Why don't you take the day off, go hang out with your boyfriend or something and relax," Kayla urged. she handed the lady her mango smoothie and wiped down the countertop. "It's a slow day anyways." She waved me off.

"I don't know..." I trailed off, unsure about just leaving Kayla on her own.

"Hey," a familiar voice interrupted. I lit up into a smile as I turned to see Rosen leaned across the counter.

"Perfect timing, get her out of here," Kayla said with a wide grin. "I can't take her moping anymore."

"I was not moping!" Rosen laughed, watching the exchange.

"I was hoping you could get off. There's a fair the next town over and I was wondering if you wanted to go. Sadly, Cole will be with us but we can just ditch him." He smiled widely, reaching over to flick my nametag. I practically flew out of my shoes and out the door at hearing this. Leaving town for the day was just the escape I needed.

"That sounds perfect," I said with a grateful smile. "I'm just going to quick change." I indicated to my uniform as I grabbed my bag and went into the bathroom. I left my hair in it's messy braid, but smoothed down the flyaways with some water out of the faucet.