Chapter 40

I barely blinked before Rosen lunged and a body instantly crumpled to the ground. Cole hurried up and kicked the body, rolling it over with the toe of his boot.

"He's out," Cole said, starting to rummage through the man's pockets. Rosen grabbed onto my hand tightly and pulled me out from behind the door as Cole handed him a gun.

Thankfully, the guy had been equipped with two guns and a numerous assortment of knives.

I got a knife, but I doubted I would use it. A knife was too intimate.

Rosen didn't let go of my hand as we followed Cole outside of our cell. We entered a long hall made up of the same stone wall, and doors lined it as far as we could make out.

"Let's go right," Cole whispered with a shrug, heading down. Him and Rosen both prowled like animals, while I tried my best to keep my footsteps soundless.

I was so focused on watching my feet that I didn't even notice we had reached the exit door. Until Cole started shooting, than I really noticed. Rosen stepped back, pushing me into the wall behind him as he held up his gun and squeezed off a few shots.
Each shot left a man on the floor, a bullet planted in his skull.

"Don't watch," Rosen gritted out through clenched teeth, pressing me further into the stone. I gripped his T-shirt and squeezed my eyes shut as I hid my face in his back. I prayed for my life, even though I wasn't very religious.
It seemed that I was witnessing more death in the past few days than I had witnessed my entire life. The only funeral I had been to was my last grandmother who died when I was five. I never met any of my other grandparents before they had passed.

There was a beat of silence and I briefly wondered if while I was daydreaming I had gotten shot in the head. But Rosen was tugging on my arm and we were on the move again.

I didn't look at the bodies we stepped over to get to the door.

When we reached an entryway, Cole was frantically trying each set of doors before finding one unlocked. He hurried inside, and we were about to follow until there was a gunshot. I jumped, Rosen backpedaled, and Cole came running out slamming the door behind him.

"Fuck, not that way," Cole said. "Back towards the cells," he ordered, already running back the way we came.

Rosen ran, pulling me along with him the whole time and I had a strange sense of deja vu until I realized that when I first met Rosen we were running just like this.

"Keep going," Rosen urged as we hurtled over the men that we had just killed and skidded past down the hallway. I could barely catch my breath by the time we reached the original point where our cell was. The man Rosen knocked out was still inside, but I saw a pool of dark red blood trickling around him. Maybe he was more than just knocked out.

"Can't breathe," I wheezed as we took a sharp turn. Either they didn't hear me, or they both ignored me as we continued to plow forward.

I almost collapsed when we came upon a staircase, and the boys began running up it. I couldn't keep going like this and I was only slowing them down.

Rosen must have finally realized he was pretty much dragging me up each step.
"Ellie," he said in a frantic tone, turning to look at me. Cole had also stopped but was about ten steps ahead of us.

"I can't keep up. I'm going to throw up," I moaned, holding my empty stomach.

"Can you carry her?" Cole snapped, his head searching for any signs of people following.

"Yes, but not far," Rosen hissed in return. But they didn't argue for much longer as I was ordered to climb onto Rosen's back and we were sprinting up the stairs again. I clung onto his neck for dear life, and kept choking out apologies into his ear.