seventeen (part ii): a blast from the past

-TRIGGER WARNING-

As you all know, Jisoo and I grew up together. When my mother and Jiyong adopted her, I got really mad at them because I didn't want a new sister, especially because I was living part time with my dad, so I hated knowing that Jisoo got all of my mom's attention and time. You know, just a silly twelve year old having rivalry with an orphan, and I probably should've been more compassionate back then seeing as I was twice her age, but kids will be kids.

Anyway, Jisoo and I had a rocky start of our relationship and since she always refused to refer to my parents as mom and dad, I also refused to call her my sister. I guess that was really petty, but she didn't seem to mind either. Then Haruto and Lisa came along, and those three actually had a tight siblings relationship with each other, so I tried to befriend Jisoo when she was a pre-teen, you know, to makeup for all the years of bickering and fighting.

Don't get me wrong, the banter never really stopped, but at some point we became almost inseparable and she became as protective as they come with me. I was the first person she came out to, and we would tell each other everything. Even when I knew she would most likely chase my boyfriends away, I would still confide in her when it came to my private life. She was the person I'd go to when I needed to vent, and she was the one to hold me and play with my hair until I fell asleep every time some jerk broke my heart.

And this brings us to three years ago: when Jisoo was sixteen, in her junior year, and I was twenty-two, about to start preparing for my internship.

It was a Saturday afternoon and it had been pouring rain non-stop since Friday morning. One of the worst storms we'd had in the city in a long while, and that day I was at work at this small flower shop near campus, when I received a call that there was an issue with my transfer papers for the hospital in Seongnam. Some bullshit about my documents being incomplete and they needed them immediately, so I had to find a way to go home to get them.

"Chung, I need you to do me a favor."

"What is it, unnie?"

Chungha was Jisoo's girlfriend at the time, and her mom owned the flower shop where I was working, so she was usually hanging around whenever I was there. I always thought she was jealous of me, which I honestly thought was hilarious, because Jisoo and I's relationship was never anything more than platonic.

"I need to send some papers to my University; can you cover for me?" I asked while taking off my apron and handing her the keys. "And tell your mother I'm really sorry, but this was an emergency."

"Sure, unnie."

By the time I was already picking up my stuff and walking out the building, I didn't have to wait much longer until I saw Jisoo parking up right at the curb. She wasn't supposed to be driving around alone, but Jiyong was too lazy to be her driver, so he'd just give her the car instead.

Thankfully, she was just on her way back from tennis practice by the time she received my text, so picking me up wasn't a problem.

The drive home seemed rather fast considering the weather conditions, and once I had picked up my stuff, I was walking down the stairs and through the living room to the main door, when Jisoo caught me by the arm.

"Where are you going?"

"I need to fix some paperwork at my University and email it to the people in Seongnam" I explained, feeling rather annoyed that she wasn't letting me move.

"Are you serious?"

"What?"

"You promised we would go out today" she said, and I could tell she was mad at me. "What, you get accepted into a prestigious school and I'm suddenly not good enough for you anymore?"