Ch. 3

Surprise! Double update today!

The ringing of my phone wakes me up, but a groan from the other side of the bed reminds me that I'm not alone, "Get out." I tell the woman currently laying in my bed. She scoffs, but grabs her clothes and walks into the bathroom to get dressed and leave. 

Tapping the screen I answer the call, "Hello." 

"Hello, is this James Sky?" A voice I don't recognise asks into the phone. 

My annoyance at their lack of an introduction grows, but I don't let it show in my tone. "Yes, who is this?"

"Oh, sorry." They laugh into the phone. "My name is Margaret Pews. I work for the California child services. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this sir, but your ex-wife Violet Meadows passed away last week and your children are all alone. We were hoping you could take them in."

"Children? What children?" I demand.

"Well I was told that you weren't aware of them, but your late ex-wife had 9 year old triplets and listed you as their father on their birth certificates. Which means that you are given the chance to be their legal guardian before they go into the system or to their godparents depending on their mother's wishes." She nervously replies with bated breath. 

"Who would they go to instead?" I ask, seriously considering letting the children go to their mother's choice for a guardian. 

The woman takes a deep breath in as if preparing for an onslaught of anger, "Well their mother's lawyer hasn't been located so until we can find them they'll be placed in a group home and eventually a foster home."

Fuck! Even I know that the foster system is no place for kids. Especially for triplets if they were going to be split up. "Would there be a guarantee they would stay together?"

She sighs sadly, "No, whoever will take them will take them. They are highly likely to get split up."

"Fine then, but I won't be able to collect them till Saturday morning. Will this be alright?" I give in. 

"We can handle the children for another two days," She happily cries into the phone. 

When all the details are set I hang up the phone, groaning in tiredness. Sleep is the last thing on my mind though. Right now I need to call my personal designer to redo the bedrooms into something more befitting of their age, then I need to look into schools and make sure that I have a nanny available to watch them for me when I'm working. Thank god it's summer break right now so I shouldn't have any trouble getting them enrolled for when the fall semester starts. 

The one day I take off from work has now been taken over by these little brats. 

Why couldn't Violet have just told me what was going on?

Right she left a letter that night. Where is it? I run around the house searching for it. When I find it stashed inside her favorite book in my office I almost break down in tears. The lump feels like a pregnancy test. Opening it, I was right. It's a positive test and a letter. 

Dear James,

I can't believe you actually opened this. I'm assuming you've found out about the baby now and that's why you're reading this. I had planned on telling you that night after you got back from dinner with Kaya, but when you came home from work you were so angry and convinced that I had cheated on you. I wanted to tell you, but if you were going to be bitter and angry, I wasn't exposing our child to that, so I am leaving without a fight. You should know that I never did cheat. Those photos were doctored somehow, but it's not like I could prove it in a way that would change the hurt. I promise never to tell the baby how much you hate me, but just know I doubt I will ever heal from the pain you have caused me.