Ch. 24

"Hey you three! It's time to get up! It's your first day of school!" I yell as I go down the stairs to make them breakfast.

A loud thud comes from one of their rooms. Guess they're up.

Should I check on them?

"I'm OK!" River's voice yells from the source of the thud.

Chuckling, I turn back to my original route towards the kitchen. Hmm, what to make for them this morning... I think a little comfort from Maggie style food is in order. New schools can be stressful.

Alright then, since I only know how to make her burritos let's

go with that.

Turning music on, I start singing at the top of my lungs as I move around cooking. I guess I was a little too loud because Killian walked into the room yelling, "Stop singing! Your voice is like nails on a chalkboard!"

"I was having so much fun though," I pout.

Killian giggles at me, "But my ears were bleeding!"

"You little brat! I think my little monkey needs to learn a lesson." I tease him.

Grabbing him by the waist as he tries to run away, I start tickling him relentlessly.

"Dad! Daaad! Stop!" He yells through his laughter.

I'll never get tired of hearing them call me that. For most dad's it's a given, but to me it's a title that was earned. I worked hard to make them feel safe and comfortable enough to call me that. They've made me so happy.

Once I finally stop, I call the other two down for breakfast. They all look so cute in their first day of school outfits. They spent all night modeling different outfits to find the perfect ones.

God, I hope this new school is good for them. I hope they find new friends outside of themselves.

"Are you guys excited for your first day?" I ask the trio.

That all too common shared look between them makes me slightly worried. They only ever do that when they aren't sure how much to tell me.

"It's ok if you're not. We aren't putting this off though. Just talk to me."

Finally River jumps in to protect his siblings. "It's just we miss our old friends back in California. We don't want to replace them."

Ohh. That's what this is about. They honestly think new friends would be betraying their old ones. "Look kids, people will come and go from your lives, but just because you make new friends and meet new people doesn't mean that you're replacing them. It just means that you've made a new friend."

"I guess. But we'll never see them again." Killian sighs before walking out of the room.

Shit. I never thought about it that way. When I took them in I took them away from all of their friends and any support system their mom had before she passed. Now I have no way of contacting their old friends so no matter what happens I can't help them find their friends again.

"Storm, you've been awfully quiet. What's wrong?" I turn to her.

She just drops her head to stare at the burrito in front of her. Her eyes are so sad.

What happened to the happy little girl who tried to school me at skateboarding and wrestled with her brother?

Walking over to her, I wrap my arms tightly around her. Whispering into her ear, "Sunshine, I know you don't want to talk about it, but when you're ready I'll always be here for you."

Standing up, I give River a hug as well. "You two finish your breakfast, I'm going to go talk to Killian about it."

I search for Killian in his room, but he's not there. Checking each of the triplets' bedrooms, I can't find him.

Fuck. Where the hell is he? He wouldn't run away would he? NO. Where would he go when something goes wrong?

Well he was a mama's boy so what reminds him of his mom now?

Maybe outside? Violet loved to be outside.

Walking out the back door I find him sitting on the bench Storm moved for our mornings on our first day out together. He has tears falling down his face and each breath he takes sends a huge shudder through his whole body.

"Monkey? Come here bud." Slipping him into a hug, I hold Killian close, letting him cry everything out.

"I just don't want to lose all of our old friends. We used to be as close as siblings, but now we haven't been able to talk to them since Mom sent us to live with Sir." He tells me quietly.

Fuck. That's what this has all been about. "Maybe we will take a trip back home for Labor Day to see if you can meet with your friends. Does that sound good?"

The look of pure excitement on Killian's face warms my heart. I really hope that we can meet up with their old friends back there. "Thank you dad!"

"Now, today I want you to try and meet some new friends." I say as he pulls back from my hug.

"Fiiiiine." He says drawing out the word dramatically.

"Alright, go get ready for school. I'll wrap up your burrito so you can eat on the way." I say getting up from the bench. "I love you monkey."

After getting the kids all ready, we pile into the car together. I guess this is how most parents feel when they drop their kids off in kindergarten but I don't want to leave them here. I won't be able to check in whenever I want and talk to them.

This won't be a problem tomorrow though, Marie's taking over dropoff so I can make it to work on time.

"Kiddos, we're here!" I announce as we pull into the parking lot of the school. "Do you want me to walk you in?"

The trio immediately shakes their heads no. "We're supposed to be independent now Dad. We can handle this on our own." River speaks for the group.

"Ok then. I am waiting here until you are in class though." I inform them.

I know it kind of sounds like I'm a helicopter parent, but they've been through so much and I refuse to fail them again. Hopefully today goes well.

"Love you! I'll see you after work!" I call out as they get out of the car.

Watching them walk into the building, I let out a huge breath of relief when this boy about their age and a younger girl start talking with the triplets. They're already making new friends.

"Be safe my loves." I whisper as I pull out of the parking lot to head to work. 

A/N

It's their first day of school!! Short chapter but I wanted to get you guys a new one. 

Do you think they'll meet their friends back home?

Who do you think the boy and girl were?

How do you think the first day will go?

Should I do a chapter of their first day in a triplet POV? Whose?

What chapter has been your favorite so far?

See you in the next chapter!