Ch. 22

"Ok. If you honestly think it's safe then ok. She can come for dinner." River declares.

A small grin graces my face at his declaration, but a small flicker of doubt is nagging me. Dad's bookie knows who Mother is. If they follow her, then they'll know about the triplets. FUCK!

Ok, brain. You only need to talk to her. Ask how much they owe and if it's small then just let her come over, but if it's big then she won't be stepping foot in this neighborhood.

Slowly, I kneel down and pull each of them into my arms. "I will always do my best to keep you safe. You three are my number one priority forever and always."

"We know. It's just..." Storm trails off.

Jumping in to finish her sentence, River bluntly tells me what they're thinking. "It's just you've already messed up once. Don't get me wrong, we forgive you. But that trust... it's still being built back up."

I knew they were still hung up on that. If Mother is good for her visits maybe then they'll trust me again. New people will always make them wary I guess.

"Look, I know I messed up. But that has just made me even more conscientious of who I allow around you." I sigh defeatedly.

"What's con... conscien..." Killian tries to ask, struggling to say the word.

Breathily laughing, "Conscientious? It means I am more aware and wary of who I'm letting anywhere near you." I explain.

An Oh look comically crosses his face when it clicks into his head. "So why didn't you just say that?"

This kid. "Because I didn't."

"Why?"

I'm annoyed.

"Because"

"Because why?"

If you ask one more time I might strangle you.

"Because I could."

"Ok."

Finally he stopped. "Alright, who's hungry?" I ask them. Almost simultaneously a large growl comes from each of their stomachs. "Ok I guess all of you are. Since no one answered my question earlier, let's go get some Mexican food!"

A burst of happiness comes from Killian who's jumping up and down. The other two seem overly excited too, but are too busy laughing at him to really do much about it.

Suddenly his excitement makes sense. Maggie owns a Mexican restaurant. He thinks they're going to get something similar at the very least.

Hmm, do I explain how Mexican food here tastes nothing like there? Or should I just let him be disappointed and have hope that another restaurant will be better. Yep brain, the second one is better.

Getting up from the couch, I usher my trio of troublemakers out to the car for food.

Later on that night, they asked me for a story before bed.

Once upon a time...

There was a King who loved his wife very dearly. She was pregnant with 5 little babies. Unfortunately when they were born his wife died and he had to watch over the newborn babies all by himself.

One day a witch showed up. She told him that one day his quintuplets would lead to the end of the kingdom as they knew it. So he sent them away.

They all had royal magic, so to hide them from the world he sent them to his sister in a forest at the far end of the kingdom.

She raised them for 17 years until the King decided to bring them back home. The kids were so excited to see their dad that they forgot why they were sent away in the first place.