Ch. 6

I burned everything. Making breakfast was a complete disaster. Every time I tried to make something I would get distracted and then it would burn before I even knew what was happening. I really need to get Violet out of my head, as much as I love her she’s dead and I need to focus on our children.

Hmm. Our children. Our… I never thought I would get to say that, I guess I never really will either.

Fuck! Smoke billows from the pan in front of me as the last of the eggs I was trying to scramble turns to black tar. I’m surprised the triplets haven’t come down to investigate the smell yet considering the smell that's all over.

Carefully checking that all the machines are turned off so I don’t burn the house down, I move up the stairs to check on the trio. Going from room to room, I find them in Killian’s room once again.

“Hey kids, so I kind of burned breakfast like three different times, so why don’t we go out for breakfast and then to the store to get some food?” I ask them, rubbing my neck in embarrassment. “Oh yeah, I should have asked this before now, but are you guys allergic to anything?”

“No sir.” Killian mumbles looking down.

Sighing, I nod my head, “Ok then. Whenever you’re ready, come downstairs and then we can head out.”

I wish they would stop calling me sir. Heading to the living room, I sit on the couch sipping on another cup of coffee.

It takes the triplets a while to come down, but they seem a little surprised that I’m actually waiting for them still. Standing up from my seat on the couch I ask, “You guys ready?” Silently they nod their heads in sync. Awkwardly I move to go outside to the car, “Ok well, I was thinking Denny’s would be good for breakfast. Then we can head to the mall from there to get you guys whatever you need and then the grocery store to refill the fridge after the disaster of my breakfast this morning.”

I receive grunts of agreement from the trio, but again they don’t speak.

Ok this is starting to worry me. Every time I try to get them to say something all I get is a few words or a nod. They don’t even try to argue with me about any of it. It could be them missing their mom, but I feel like something else is going on with them.

Violet used to do the same thing when she was scared of anything. I guess they learned that from her. I just hope that someday soon the kids trust me enough to come to me with their problems and that they aren’t afraid of me anymore.

“Time. It’s just going to take time.” I remind myself as I follow the kids through the door to the restaurant and to a spot to sit down at. “Get whatever you guys want for breakfast.”

A small grin pops up on River’s face as he notices a milkshake in the menu. So he likes sweets, noted.

The other two stare at the menu for a while longer, but nothing seems to make them excited. Well I need to make sure that they actually get some food in them. They haven’t eaten much since last night and it’s almost noon.

Eventually the waitress comes over as the triplets start drawing on their menus with the crayons provided. The bottle blond looks fairly young to be working, but she works extremely hard taking orders and bringing them back.

“Well hello cuties.” She squeals to the triplets. “What can I get for you?’

I can see them looking at me skeptically, so I nod my head in encouragement. This time River speaks for the group placing their drink and food orders.

Turning to look at me for confirmation that the kids can have what they ordered, the waitress eyes me. “And for you sir?”

After she leaves I look to my kids to find them staring at me seriously. “Hey kids, why don’t we play a game?”