Ch. 13

"Kids, come downstairs for breakfast!" I yell out as I finish plating the pancakes. My mind seems more focused this morning, and I actually managed to cook something well.

Someone rushes down the stairs quickly, but I only hear one of them. "Sir? What's for breakfast?" Killian asks once he enters the kitchen.

I'm not facing him, so I let my eyes close in pain for a moment before turning, "I made pancakes. Where's the other two?"

"They woke up late, so they're getting dressed." He says sitting at the table.

I plate the last of the pancakes and set them down for Killian to serve himself. "Kids, we're going to be late if you don't hurry up!"

I don't hear any noise from them coming down, but I ignore it and grab a pancake to eat dry. "Killian?"

His head shoots up anxiously, "You know I was serious that I would never hurt you right? You are my first priority always."

"But sir, why would you leave us with Ms. Winters then?" He asks.

Well that stung, "I... I... I thought she would take care of you, but I was wrong. I trusted her. She was a mistake. I wanted to work so I could make sure you have everything you need." My eyes start to sting, but I try my best to hold them off.

"She hurt us." River whispers from his spot in the door.

The tears I was holding back start flowing freely. "I know. I know. And I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. It's all my fault."

Storm cautiously walks up to me, "It's ok James. You didn't know. You thought she would protect us." Her small arms wrap around my waist, hugging it lightly.

Wrapping one arm around her back to return the hug and wiping my tears with the other, I pull myself back together. "Alright kids, I've got to clean up and you kids need to eat breakfast, so we can get to the school."

"Do we have to go to school today?" Storm whines as she retracts from my hug.

I laugh at her, "If you're good, I'll get you ice cream with lunch."

Immediately the triplets get this excited light in their eyes, "Ok James, hurry up! We need to go!" River runs up to me, to pull me towards the door.

"Hold on. You need to eat before we can leave." I laugh, holding my position.

All three of them reluctantly sit down to eat, and I turn towards the mess from cooking this morning. Sighing, I start cleaning up. I really wish I could just leave it for the housekeeper who's coming this afternoon, but I have to set a good example for the triplets.

As I put away all the ingredients, Killian finishes up and starts trying to wash the syrup from his plate. I smile at his initiative. Violet really did a good job raising these kids. "Thanks bud."

He still seems a little skittish, but I try to ignore it. I don't want him feeling uncomfortable, but it's not like forcing him will actually fix anything. Hopefully he trusts me soon though, it hurts every time I hear 'sir'.

We made a breakthrough last night. Today will hopefully keep that progress and grow on it.

__________

"We passed! James, we passed!" Storm squealed, rushing into the principal's office.

I laughed at her happiness, "I knew you would, sweetheart."

The boys quickly followed in behind her, and we all turned to the principal who had cleared his throat as the children calmed down.

"Well, all of you are at the same grade level, but I do have one question for you. Do you wish to be in separate classes with different teachers or the same?" He questions the kids directly.