Ch. 28

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday my dear triplets. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear River. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Storm. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Killian. Happy birthday to you." I sing out to wake the birthday boys and girl.

All three of their faces break out into a grin at the same time, almost as if it was planned. Then they rub their eyes tiredly, while saying, "Thanks Dad!"

Aww I have such cute kids. Holy shit. I made half of that! I mean I was only involved for like one night but still they're half me!

"I can't believe you're ten already!" I grin happily enjoying the feeling of celebrating with them.

Suddenly River's face falls and then Storm's does too and then Killian's.

Wait. What did I miss? Why would they be unhappy today?

Ohhh. Violet... She's not here. I knew they would feel her absence today, but I was kind of hoping they wouldn't notice until later.

Ok. So breakfast first, then my surprise. Hopefully it'll help them with their feelings today.

"Alright, you three get dressed and then come downstairs for breakfast. I'm making a surprise." I say in a happy tone. It might seem like I'm ignoring their feelings, but this is the only way I know I can help them.

I prance down the stairs like a gazelle and pull out the box I stashed away last night. Opening it, I stare at the mouth watering Cinnabon cinnamon rolls.

This is a tradition Violet and I had when we were together. Every birthday we would get cinnamon rolls for breakfast with candles and we would sing to each other. Popping one into the microwave, I start humming a song as I wait.

By the time all three of them have made it to the kitchen, I've warmed four rolls and am just putting the candles in.

Killian looks at the rolls, back at me, then back to the rolls. "How did you know?"

"Know what?" I ask him, confused.

"This was a tradition Mom used to do for us." Storm sighs sadly.

My eyes widen in surprise, "Oh she kept that tradition? She and I started that when we first met."

Shit. This was supposed to be my little thing with her. I can't believe she actually kept some of our traditions. I figured she would have destroyed everything from our relationship, especially little things like this.

Is it bad that I'm so happy she shared a piece of us with them?

"It was our favorite part of the day because no matter how early or late she worked or what we had going on at school she would make sure that we all sat down together to eat and open presents from each other." River explains.

A sad smile takes over my face as I remember the last birthday I spent with Violet. She had been sick for a week, but the entire time she had just kept telling me that she couldn't wait to eat those cinnamon rolls.

"She and I actually started this by accident. On my first birthday after I met her, I jokingly told her that I wanted cinnamon rolls for breakfast and she did it. Then she wanted them for hers and we never stopped." I speak in this dreamy voice as I remember all the good times we had together.

God, I wish I hadn't fucked up so badly.

Shaking my head clear, I turn back to the triplets. "Enough about that. Let's sing and then we can eat!" My voice turns cheery, but they can tell it's forced.