Ch. 19

It's now been a full month since I took in the kids.

Killian has become so full of life. He is willing to act as silly as a monkey or yell at me when I'm wrong. His brother has not appreciated his changes.

River is still very skeptical about me and Marie. He's become moody and hesitant. It honestly has made me very worried about him. He's still trying to protect his siblings, but I feel like he's been getting pulled into this darkness. I might try to get him into a therapist if his behavior doesn't change soon.

Storm has found her stride here as well. She's become as bold and fearless as her name. She's also been getting into trouble for pranking the boys. One morning I woke up to them screaming and whipped cream covering their faces. I laughed so hard.

None of them have said I love you back yet, but I haven't stopped saying it to them. They need to know someone still loves them after the death of their mother. I think they might be waiting until River has officially given his approval before they start accepting me. He has a lot of influence with the other two.

Right. James, get out of your head. It's time to get down to work.

Shaking my head a few times to restart my brain, I turn back to the pile of paperwork sitting on my desk. Groaning, I start filling them out once more.

"Sir, you have an unexpected visitor." Silvia speaks over the intercom.

Hmm, it better not be Kelly again. I mean seriously has she not gotten the hint? "Who is it?"

"A woman claiming to be your mother. I've never met her before so I can't tell."

Fuck! What the hell is she doing here? "Well, even if she is my mother, I don't have time available to talk to her. Have her set an appointment for a different day."

The witch can wait a little longer. I mean this is the first time she's even tried to talk to me since she told me to send the kids to foster care.

"Of course sir." Sylvia says before ending the conversation.

It takes me a second to get back to work, but once I do I don't stop until Silvia walks in later on. "Sir, it's almost 6 o'clock. Are you almost finished?"

Glancing at the time on my phone, I notice that Marie has already called me once. Shit, it's not fair to make her stay late for me. "I guess I lost track of time. Yes, I'm done for now. Go ahead and go home. I can lock up for the night."

"Alright then. Have a good night then James." Silvia says as she leaves.

"Have a good night," I call out after her.

I rush through everything to shut down the office and then rush to the car. In the car, I pull up Marie's contact and call her.

"Hey James," She answers.

"Hey. I am so sorry I'm running late today. I got wrapped up in work and didn't realize what time it was." I apologize.

She snorts into the phone, laughing at me, "It's ok James. I'm feeding the kids now because they were starving. We'll be fine."

"Still, I'll make sure to make it up to you. I'll be home soon."

"We'll see you then." She hangs up the phone.

My stomach growling makes me speed up the car. Marie's cooking really is the best. I don't know what I would do without her. She has been a Godsend.

Arriving at home 20 minutes later, I almost sprint into the house. Whatever she made smells so good! I can't wait to eat!

Laughter rings throughout the house making a small warmth grow in the pit of my stomach. Deciding to scare them just a little bit, I quietly stalk into the kitchen where Marie and Storm are sitting facing me and the boys have their backs to me. Holding my finger to my lips, I hush them and a mischievous grin shows on their faces.