Ch. 25

Maggie POV

I can't wait to see their faces!

It's been too long since they left for New York. From their phone calls it seems like they're doing really well, but there is something off. The kids have been avoiding certain topics and James seems oblivious to their issues.

All I've been able to tell is that Sunday nights the kids refuse to talk about anything that happened that day and that James thinks they're asleep. James has mentioned trying to make amends with his family, but no one's told me how. And apparently Storm had a panic attack on the first day of school and no one told James about it.

So I've decided that I'm going to show up Saturday (which I guess is today) and then spend all day with them on Sunday. Hopefully I can figure out what this feeling is.

Knock. Knock. Knock. I pound on James' front door.

"Hello?" James voice questions as he opens it. His eyes are staring at something behind him, but when he finally turns to look at me the shock is hilarious.

"Hello my boy!" I tease him. "I'm here for a surprise visit."

"Maggie what the hell are you doing here!" He yells out.

A loud rush of footsteps comes from the living room. "Dad! Swear jar!" The trio yells in sync.

I just love it when they talk like that. It reminds me of when they were little kids trying to figure out their own identities, but spent too much time alone around their mom.

"What swear word?" James asks them defensively. His hands are held out in an attempt to placate them, but they aren't listening.

"You said H E double hockey sticks!" Killian says angrily. He's so cute when he's angry.

James looks at him confused, "I said heck not H E double hockey sticks." That little bastard. He's lying!

This moment is so cute, but I need to sit down. "Alright, let up on the man kiddos."

"Oh yeah, come on in, Maggie. We're in the middle of a meeting with their social worker, but he's been asking about you." James says, finally moving out of the doorway.

Walking into their house, I see photos all over of the kids growing up with Violet and a few of their 2 months here. The living room is set up with two separate couches and a large TV. The windows are covered with heavy drapes as if he tried to make it a theater room instead.

Sitting on one of the couches is a man about James' age with dark brown curly hair and dark skin. I guess he's their social worker.

"Hi, I'm Maggie. Sorry to interrupt you guys. I was trying to surprise them with my visit." I introduce myself to him.

The man stands up, "Oh it's quite alright. I'm Chris Journey. The kids talk about you a lot during my visits."

Aww, I'm important enough to them for even this guy to hear a lot about me. "Well that is mighty sweet of you kids." I tell them.

I think it finally sinks in that I am in front of them because all three of them launch into my arms. "We missed you so much Maggie!" Killian yells out.

Laughing at their antics, I sit down on the couch while pulling the triplets down with me. "I missed you too."

Chris sits down as well, then looks at me seriously. "Hey kids, can the adults have a moment? I want to talk to them alone." The trio pouts, but sulkily leaves at James ushering them out. Once they're out of ear shot he continues, "Maggie, I've heard that you plan on taking the kids away if James does something wrong. Does your presence today mean he's made that mistake?"