Chapter 17: Camping Trip - Part Four

A silence enveloped around them, even the forest seemed to have stilled. The silence seemed to have frozen them both in time. It wasn't comfortable, but they figured it was better than talking. They both laid sprawled along the pine needle and twig covered grass, watching the clouds blow by.

George immediately felt when Dream's gaze fell upon the side of his face. It felt like fire, warming his right cheek. George forced himself to continue looking forwards as a deep, nagging feeling began to settle in his stomach. He closed his eyes, knowing what was coming next.

"George?" Dream's voice slightly shook.

The feeling intensified. George opened his eyes to the clouds breathing out, "yeah?"

Another thick silence formed as Dream turned his head back to the sky.

"Talk to me." Dream spoke in a voice so soft, so small, so broken, that it caused George's heart to clench.

George shut his eyes, "It's not that easy."

"It is. You can, you can talk to me." Dream said, begging him to.

"I can't."

"You could. You-you used to." George knew Dream paused waiting for his response, but George had none to give.

"George, I- I miss you." Dream confessed. "I miss you and you're right next to me."

I miss you too. George slightly turned towards Dream, watching water cloud his eyes.

"Talk to me George, please. Please, talk to me." Dream begged.

How? How can I talk to you? What do I talk to you about?

"Talk to me like you used to. Talk to me about anything and everything."

I can't. George turned to the side, turning his back to Dream. He knew it was too strong of a message, but he couldn't handle how vulnerable he felt. How vulnerable it made him feel when Dream knew exactly what he was thinking. Dream knew him too well.

"George, please?"

"I- I'm," George paused, taking a deep breath, "I can't talk to you anymore Dream."

Dream stayed silent, knowing George would continue when he was ready.

"I- I don't even want to be near you." George's voice faded into a whisper.

Again Dream stayed silent.

George could feel his chest tightening, he watched it rise and fall but felt as if he wasn't breathing at all. His face muscles tensed into frown as he felt water rushing into his eyes, tears begging to escape.

"Be-because," George sucked in three staccatoed breaths, "everytime we are together. I get hurt. Y-you hurt me. You draw me in, only to push me off a cliff. You're supposed to be my best friend. You're supposed to save me from falling, not be the one to push me."

"George, look at me." Dream spoke softly. George hesitantly turned towards him, their gazes connecting, "I would save you."

George removed his gaze focusing on the sky. He could feel his heart pounding, 'I would save you' echoed in his mind, his heart fluttered hearing those words. Dream would save me... but you aren't the Dream I used to know. The fluttering in his chest began to sputter, quickly dying out and falling into broken pieces, his gaze met Dream's, "Would you?"

George watched Dream's own heart shatter through the flash in Dream's hazy green eyes. George knew it hurt, the same way it hurt him to say it.

Dream searched George's eyes, "You don't trust me?"