Chapter 17: The Betrayal

Mando remained silent, extending out a hand towards Toro. Reluctantly, Toro handed them over. Once Mando had them in his hand, he tossed it over towards the Tusken Raiders, who caught it with ease. Toro watched in horror. "Hey! What? Those were brand new."

"Yeah? They were." Mando quipped.

I couldn't help but snicker as I followed Mando back to the speeder bikes. I held on tight as we continued making our way through the sea of sand. After what felt like hours, Mando raised his hand as he slowed down his speeder. He then crouched down on the sand. Without thinking twice, Mando grabbed my hand, gently pulling me down with him. I felt my heart flutter.

"Get down." Mando advised.

Toro and I then quickly followed Mando up towards a small sand hill. We quickly peaked over the top to see a creature not far from us roaming around. There was something that the creature was dragging. I then realized that Mando was still holding my hand. I could feel my face heat up. I mentally shook my head. What am I doing? I can't go down that path again, I knew what awaited me if I walked down this road with Mando...only heartbreak and pain. Reluctantly, I pulled my hand away as I took out my glasses, putting them on. I inspected the scene, seeing that the creature was dragging a person.

"All right, what do you see?" Mando asked.

"Dewback." Toro replied.

"The rider's still attached." I chimed in.

"Is that her? Is that the target?" Toro inquired.

"I don't know. I'll go." Mando offered, taking out his pistol. "You both cover me. Stay down."

I then took out the rifle that Mando gave me, prepared to use it if necessary. Mando slowly made his way down towards the dewback. Once he reached the dewback, he tossed the person around. Toro shouted out. "Well, is it her? Is she dead?"

"It's another bounty hunter." Mando mentioned.

"Hey, I hope you don't plan on keeping all that stuff for yourself." Toro retorted. "Can I at least have the blaster?"

I turned to face him, narrowing my eyes at him. Toro whipped his head around to face me. He shrugged. "What?"

"That's what you're so worried about?" I questioned.

"Well, yeah." Toro replied.

"Shand is still out there, we need to be careful." I shot back. "That should be our top priorirty."

"Get down!" Mando exclaimed.

All of the sudden, a blast hit Mando's shoulder, knocking him to the ground. My heart dropped. I lunged forth, wanting to make sure Mando was all right. However, Toro pulled me back, preventing me from getting shot. Once I was back on the ground, I shoved Toro back. Toro raised his hands. "Okay, jeez. Sorry for helping you."

"Mando!" I cried out, ignoring him.

After a few moments, which felt like an eternity to me, Mando collapsed onto the ground next to us. I quickly rushed towards him. "Are you all right?"

Mando nodded. "Yeah, it hit me in the beskar. And at that range, the beskar held up."

"What happened?" Toro inquired.

"Sniper bolt." Mando answered. "Only a MK modified rifle can make that shot."

"Wait, I don't wear any beskar." Toro said.

"Nope." Mando confirmed.

"And neither do I. So what's our next move?" I asked.

"You see where that shot came from?" Mando inquired.