Chapter 29: The Talent Show

When I returned home, Elizabeth and Din worked on their part for the talent show. As I finished making tonight's supper, Maria ran into the room with a curious look on her face.

"Mom, what are we going to do for the talent show?" Maria asked.

Oh, Maria. I hadn't planned on doing anything. I wore a sympathetic smile. "Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. I hadn't planned on doing anything for the talent show." 

"But it's not too late, right? Please can we do something with Baby Yoda?" Maria pleaded, giving me her best puppy eyes.   

She looked much like Din, especially when she gave me those puppy dog eyes that were just too darn hard to resist. However, Baby Yoda can't be seen by the others in town. If they saw him, then they would be frightened.

"Oh sweetie, Baby Yoda can't be seen by anyone in town." I began.

Maria tilted her head. "Why not?"

"Well...he looks different from everyone else. And we are trying to blend in, sweetie." I mentioned.

"But why does it matter? Baby Yoda means no harm." Maria stated.

I let out a sigh. "There are many people who are terrified of someone just because they look different from them, have different beliefs, and so forth.

"That's not cool." Maria said.

"No, it's not. But unfortunately that's the world we live in." I mentioned.

"We could dress Baby Yoda up, so no one would suspect he's an alien." Maria suggested as her eyes lit up.

That's no a bad idea. It could work. But what we going to do in the talent show? With that in mind, I inquired. "And what would we do in the talent show to provide such a disguise for him?"

"We could dance." Maria offered.

I grimaced. Oh I've got a bad feeling about this...But I couldn't say to my daughter, especially when she gave me that pleading look. Oh jeez whiz, I hope this works.

•••
Once the time for the talent show arrived, all us made our way to the town square, where the talent show was being held. Baby Yoda was in my arms in his disguise. Baby Yoda wore a mask, covering his face, a hat that covered his ears, and wearing a suit similar to Din, but he had a vest on as well. I was nervous about dancing, pacing back and forth. Geraldine stood next to me, noticing how anxious I was. Immediately, she placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, you good?" She asked.

"Honestly? I feel nervous...What if I mess up?" I inquired, rambling on.

"Hey, first of all, I want you to breathe. Take in a deep breath." She advised.

Following her advice, I took in a deep breath, calming myself down. I felt much calmer than before. Geraldine then continued. "Now listen to me, you're going to be great, you will do swell."

I cracked a smile. "Thanks Geraldine. You're a great friend."

She waved it off with her hand as she let out a chuckle. "Oh it's nothing."

Her face fell as she remembered something. "Ayla, there's something I need to tell you."

I furrowed my brows. "Okay, what is it?"

Geraldine opened up her mouth, prepared to say something. However, before she could, a familiar voice rang out. "There you are!"

At that moment, Din appeared with Baby Yoda in his arms and both our daughters trailing behind him. My eyes lit up, happy to see them. Din greeted me with a kiss on the cheek. I then remembered we weren't alone as Geraldine stood next to us. So I quickly turned to face her, introducing my family to her and vice versa. Geraldine greeted them with a smile.