Chapter 17 - Elina

I leaned against the doorway, watching as Melvin took sips from his glass. I had decided to invite him over since he was very close with my mother.. He knew everything about her.

"Oh Elina.. How could I explain this." He mumbled, shaking his head a bit. I stared at him for a while, watching him pour himself another glass. He leaned back onto the sofa he sat on and looked into my eyes. "Your mother.. She wasn't as strong as she seemed to be from the outside. She was sort of like you! But.. you aren't so.." He paused for a moment to think. "So dreadful ad she used to be." Melvin mumbled, his eyebrows furrowing. "Dreadful?" I repeated. I was confused by what he had said.. My mother wasn't a dreadful woman! She was kind, outspoken and she seemed to be happy..

Melvin sat up, sighing. "Yes.. I've known her for a long time, Elina." He told me. "She would tell me about her fears.. She was filled with fear and so much paranoia." Melvin explained. I shook my head. "Why..? My mother, she's alwayd seemed to be doing just fine." I curiously questioned. "My mother.. I know her. I can't imagen her like that filled with fear and paranoia. That doesn't sound like her!" I exclaimed walking over to the seat infront of him.

He sighed. "Well of course." He mumbled. "She's changed drastically over these past years.. There wasn't anything I could've done to help her." He told me. Melvin grabbed a small box that was besides him. I slightly tilted my head and sat up straight. "Your mother, she was an artist." He said, opening the box.

It revealed several drawings that seemed to be unfinished. "These drawings.. She would draw them when she felt paranoid or severely depressed." Melvin sighed, slowly revealing the drawings. "She would talk to me alot and she would tell me how she would just.. Fade in into her drawing and how those vile thoughts she had would.. just dissapear." He added.

disappear.

He kept on rambling on as he kept on showing me her past artwork. They were filled with great emotion.. It's as if you coulf feel it through the art! They were all beautifully expressed and drawn. He kept on taking out more but there was one that caught my eye.. It felt so familiar to me and it greatly reminded me of someone.

Dearest, Scarlet.

I grabbed the drawing slowly, admiring the dark colors and beautiful silhouette of a woman in a long dress. It was breathtaking and it felt as if I was connected in some sort of way.. all I could see was Scarlet in the beautiful painting.

Scarlet, Scarlet, Scarlet.

"Well that one.. Your mother painted that one because it reminded her of a woman in her dreams.. she didn't like the way it turned out but she still kept it." He told me, making me slowly nod. "It turned out amazing.. so breath-taking." I explained, not wanting to let this go. He laughed. "Your mother.. I told you she was a huge artist! she got it from her father, your grandpa."

I slightly smiled at those words, reminiscing the memories I had of my grandfather. He had passed such a long time ago yet I remember him so clearly. When I was still a child.. He was the one to teach me how to paint even if I wasn't ever the biggest artist. He also taught me how to write poetry.. I wrote my first poem when I was around thirteen.

Melvin smiled. "You know back in Spain where your mother resided in... She had several portraits who she created but also the ones your grandfather created." He told me with a big smile. I took my eyes off the drawing I admired and looked up at him. "Really?" I asked as he hummed in response. "I just wanted to inform you since.. I've heard that you might go back."

I nodded in response with a sigh. "I'm leaving in a few days.. I'm not exactly sure how to feel about this though. I don't know if i'll ever be able to face all of those people, especially my mother." I began. "She passed away so unexpectedly.. I never knew she struggled so much.. I could've been there." I gulped, closing my eyes for a second.

Melvin sighed, placing the box besides him so gently. "Sometimes people die in the most unexpected times. But what those vile creatures did to her.. They had no reason. Your mother already struggled tremendously on her own.. That just can't be fixed in a second." He explained, mumbling the last part. Melvin looked heartbroken.. I knew him and my mother were very close since they were young. "No it can't be." I said. "That was my mother.. They took her life and no matter how much I wish for her back.. I know she isn't coming." I mumbled, desperately trying to hold my tears back.

"I'll find those people who did this to her.. They'll die slowly and painfully." I whispered, taking in a deep breath. He stayed silent, staring at me. "Here." He spoke, handing me the box. I suddenly looked into him. "There are more things in here than just her drawing.. There are some letters dedicated to you and some jewelry." He said. "She really did love you, Elina. Don't doubt her love for you ever.." He added.

I stood, looking at the clock. "Thank you, Melvin." I said. "This truly means alot and well.. I'll cherish these things for as long as I live." I told him, a wave of sadness hitting me. I wondered what she had written and the meaning behinds these.. Drawings. I loved my mother and we were very close.. But I never knew she struggled in such a way. I should've known.. I could've helped her. "Of course." He nodded, giving me a soft smile. "Be safe on your trip.. please come back!" He yelled before I left.

I nodded. "I will but before I leave, I have a few things I need to do! but i'll come back soon and i'll come over some time." I informed him with a smile. He nodded as I noticed a few tears from the corners of his eyes. I raised my eyebrows, suprised. "Are you going to cry?" I asked, slightly chuckling. Melvin rolls his eyes, and blinks a bunch of times. "No.." He responded, as I laughed. "Go! before you see me in my ugly state." He told me, slightly smiling.

"See you soon then, Melv." I said, laughing, before exiting his house. "Bye! See me soon!"I heard him yell through the door.

I smiled at looking at the box before entering my car. I closed my eyes for a moment, breathing so softly.

I couldn't believe it! I'm actually going back to Spain.. I haven't been there in forever. I'll see my family and the artwork Melvin mentioned..

But before I do..

I need to see her.

I need to see Scarlet.