1.7 - Gym Bro?

I open my eyes, expecting to only see those white walls that have been surrounding me my entire life. To my pleasant surprise, the white walls aren't surrounding me. That's right I'm not there anymore, I'm in my new cage. I check the time on my phone it reads, 5 AM, I look towards my window; outside the sun has barely started to rise. I get up --- It's time to do my morning routine. I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth with one eye still closed, after I finish brushing my teeth, I put on the school's gym uniform – a tracksuit. I bring with me my phone, school ID and a water bottle. I head towards the gym on campus.

Even though I'm free to not work out, I should keep myself fit. I won't work myself as hard but I will do enough to maintain my current body. Once I reach the gym, I purchase a membership for 5,000 PP a month. Inside there are only a few others working out, I proceed to first stretch.

I will work out Monday thru Friday while my rest days will be the weekend.

Mondays – Shoulders and Abs

Tuesdays - Arms and Abs

Wednesday – Legs and Abs

Thursday – Back and Abs

Friday – Chest, and Abs

Since today is Wednesday, I will be doing the following:

Squats – 6 sets x 6 reps.

45 Degree Leg press – 4 sets x 10 reps.

Leg Extension – 4 sets x 8 reps.

Leg Curl – 4 Sets x 8 reps.

I'll then need to work on my calves

Seated Calf Raise – 4 sets x 13 reps

45-degree Calf press – 4 sets x 13 reps

Then I will finish with Abs.

Abs Hover – 3 sets and just do it for as long as possible.

After I finish my stretches, I make my way to the power rack to start my squats. Before I could start –

"Hello there Kouhai, would you like for me to spot you? I was just about to do squats as well," he asked.

"Sure senpai, that would be great. My name is Ayanokōji Kiyotaka by the way." I hold my hand out to offer a handshake.

He then takes my hand "Horikita Manabu, you can call me Horikita." He responded while pushing his glasses up on his nose correctly.

We start working out together in silence. There is an unspoken rule in a gym, don't ask people questions while they are lifting heavyweight. You must let them only think about accomplishing the set they are currently on. It seems like Horikita-senpai knows this well. Once we both finished our squats, he proceeds to ask me a few questions.

"Ayanokōji-kun, why are you working out? There is generally no one here at this time and the people who do show up are all in a club," he asked.

I sit down and say to him "Horikita-senpai, have you ever heard the quote 'Healthy body and healthy mind?' In Buddhism, they believe in the interdependence of the mind and body and the impact of emotions, Buddhism speaks of the power of the mind and how we could control many functions of our bodies with our minds. According to Buddhist thinking, when dealing with illness and health, the mind, emotions, and body must be dealt with in an integrated manner."

I then take a sip from my water bottle and ask Horikita-senpai a question. "Why do you work out?"

"It is just a habit, I used to learn Aikido before I came to this school, and the habit of working out my body stuck."

I cross my legs and reply "Aikido huh, isn't that focused more on throwing and pinning techniques?"

"You know it? Do you also practice a martial art?" he said while finally sitting down in front of me.

"No, my father wanted me to learn it however I found learning the piano was more interesting" I didn't lie to him I just didn't tell him the whole truth I told myself.

He finally turns to me "Oh, that's great I would love to listen to it sometime Ayanokōji-kun, can I have your contact information? I think we will get along well."

I nod and we proceed to share contact information.

Horikita-senpai goes on "Would you like to work out together in the future? I'm here Monday thru Friday and it can get a little lonely by myself." He asks.

I nod to him "Sure Horikita-senpai, that would be great. I also will be following that same schedule and you're right it's more fun to work out with someone else."

He stands up and offers me a handshake one more time, I simply respond and we look each other in the eye for a few seconds. "It looks like things are getting interesting Ayanokōji-kun." He says and then turns around and walks away.

'What does he mean by interesting?'

Not thinking about it much, I continued to do my workouts I had a few hours left before school started and I have to make an extra Lunch for Fūka since I lost that bet. 45 minutes goes by and working on my last Ab hovers. I count the time in my head.

'1'

'2'

I continue to count the seconds

'15'

More time passes and my body is shaking

'45'

'60'

And I crash. Gasping for air I drink some water out of my water bottle with it about half full after I finish, I pour the rest of it on my head to cool some myself down. I grab my things and head back to my dorm room to start my first official school day. 

I feel my phone vibrate ---

___________________________________________

Just a quick chapter, I wanted to use this chapter for both of these characters to gain something in the long run. Read below for more explanation.

In volume 8 of the light novel Manabu says : 

Since Kiyotaka and Manabu are meeting before Nagamo is in the student council and before Suzune is in the story, I feel like he is overall a happier man

Since Kiyotaka and Manabu are meeting before Nagamo is in the student council and before Suzune is in the story, I feel like he is overall a happier man. I really wanted him and Kiyo to be friends for both their growth. 

If you see any mistakes or have any criticisms feel free to tell me! I'm constantly trying to improve my writing.

-Eli :)