1.17 - May 1st (1)

May 1st,

The morning bell rang for our very first day of class of the new month. Soon afterward, Akira-sensei strode into the room, holding a rolled-up poster. He had his usual calmness, he walked up to the teaching podium and started to stare at all the students not saying a word.

"Hey sensei, is everything okay?" Ida asked

Akira-sensei looked around the classroom before looking at Ida and answering him. "Yes, everything is fine." He replied.

Ida nodded and Akira-sensei continued speaking. "Before morning homeroom begins, does anyone have any questions for me? If so, now is the time to ask." Immediately, several students raised their hands.

"Akira-sensei, I checked my point balance this morning, but I saw that we earned fewer points than last month, could you please explain?"

"Fujiwara-chan, I explained this last month, didn't I? Points are deposited on the first of the month and I've confirmed that points were wired this month without any issues."

"Um, Akira-sensei I'm not quite understanding." Replied Fujiwara

Apparently, some of the class was left out of the loop, I thought for sure Kiriyama would have explained his thought process and findings with the others in the class if he wanted to be the class representative, or maybe some simply didn't believe him.

Kiriyama raised his hand "May I answer Akira-sensei?" he asked.

Akira-sensei smiled "Go head, Kiriyama."

Kiriyama stood up from his seat "Sensei never said that we would receive 100,000 points a month and in the overview of the OAA app, you can see that how we contribute and our behaviors to our classes can affect us. I pointed this out to most of you over the last month. That's all I know though if Akira-sensei wouldn't mind further explaining" Kiriyama sat back down after finishing.

"Well, Kiriyama-kun, you are right about the points and yes the OAA app did give the students of this year more hints than previous years but--

A total of 1 late arrival, 21 incidences of using a cellphone in class, and 17 times a student looked outside the window rather than listening to the lessons. As a result, you guys had a decrease in private points per month."

'Way to call me out Akira-sensei'

Akira-sensei continued "I explained this to everyone on the day of the entrance ceremony. This school measures its students' true abilities." Akira-sensei unrolled the poster he brought and spread it out. Everyone in the class was looking at it.

"Are these the results for all the classes?" Kiriyama asked.

Class A – 950

Class B - 700

Class C - 450

Class D – 110

So, 1000 points mean 100,000 yen, not that I'm surprised. Every class had lost points. Knowing this I turned my attention outside just listening to the conversation between Akira-sensei and my classmates.

Akira-sensei smiled nodded before continuing "Honestly, you guys have done a great job this past month. The school has no intention of preventing you from doing what you guys want during class or in how you spend your points."

"Akira-sensei, do the points each class have mean something? What if Class A had fewer points than Class B?" Kiriyama asked.

"Good question Kiriyama-kun, yes the school sorts students by their level of excellence. The superior students are sorted into class A, the least capable in Class D. If Class B ended the month with more points than us in Class A that means we would drop down to Class B and the current Class B would become Class A." Akira-sensei paused before continuing "Does anyone have any more questions, how about you Ayanokōji-kun? If I recall you said you wanted to talk to me on May 1st."