1.22 - Bookstore Meetings

What is normal? Is such a thing even possible to define? Psychiatrists typically don't even use the word "normal" because they think there is no real definition. Normal can be seen as society's norms and even then, that depends on what society you live in. What a Japanese student finds normal can be completely different than an American student does.

I can confidently say though I want today to become the norm. The smell of the sweet air and the light breeze hitting my skin. All I can hear is the sound nature there is no one talking to me about possible test questions in the upcoming midterm and I'm left to my own thoughts. I'm not sitting in a classroom thinking about the different philosophies on life to pass the time in class.

'It is nice out here but I need to go pick up my book'

I ordered this book through the bookstore in Keyaki Mall weeks ago and it has finally come.

The Republic by Plato. The book is presented in the form of different dialogues between Socrates and three different interlocutors and it's an inquiry on the notion of a perfect community and the ideal individuals within said community. It also addresses the purpose of education and the role both women and men play as people. It's said to be the corner of political philosophy however I would like to analyze and take apart this book's philosophy piece by piece. Perhaps by doing this I can solve the questions that I've been wanting answers to.

I made my way into Keyaki from the park and headed straight for the bookstore.

Arriving at the bookstore instead of going straight to the counter to get my book, I decided to look around for anything that may catch my eye.

I strolled through the bookstore towards the mystery section.

'This looks interesting'

I grabbed the book off the shelf, it was a western book titled Early Graves by Thomas H. Cook. The synopsis is interesting but I'm not sure this is the mystery that I'm looking for, I was looking for something more psychological... I could always reread something from the library.

My eyes stopped on a book in the upper right corner of the bookshelf titled Born, Darkly by Trisha Wolfe ... book 1 of 2. A psychological romance, I wouldn't usually put psychological and romance together but this could be interesting.

'I have the private points I might as well just get both books'

"H-hello Ayanokōji-kun, w-what are you doing here?"

I turned to my left to see Oshiro nervously waving at me. I didn't even notice she was near me I was too preoccupied with trying to find a book.

"I was just picking up some books, what about you Oshiro?" I'm not particularly close to Oshiro and we haven't spoken to each other in a few weeks due to the different friend groups we have. Apart from her clear nervousness when she is talking to me, I don't mind her presence.

"Umm, I came here to get some books too at first I was coming to get a book on career choices but I also wanted to see if they had a copy of Farwell my lovely... sorry if I'm rambling," Oshiro said apologetically.

"Oshiro, you don't really need to apologize to me, and have you tried looking in the school library for Farewell my lovely?" I asked her.

"I tried but there is a looong waitlist right now, it seems to be popular with the upperclassman," Oshiro said while scratching her cheek. "Anyways what are you getting Ayanokōji-kun?"

"I came here to get a book on philosophy but I chose to look around too," I think I messed up, if I respond so bluntly it can make it seem like I'm not interested in the conversation. Hopefully, Oshiro doesn't take my bad conversational abilities the wrong way.