Epilogue, Part 1

A/N: This takes place after Robin went back in time and stopped Joker from crippling Barbara.

A lot can happen in two years. A year after Kevin and Kara started their romantic relationship together, they formed a team with Robin, Tyler, and Barbara known as The Super Friends. Kevin and Barbara were leaders of the team. A year later, and things were still going well for Kevin. He was the star of a cooking show for Gotham's local PBS television station, his relationship with Kara was just as romantic. Heck, Tyler and Jason had been accepted into Gotham University, and Kevin still had a good relationship with his father. Life was good.

Kevin had just gotten back from his nightly patrol, and he was in the living room, reading a Whodunnit murder mystery that Tyler had recommended. If there was anyone that had good taste in murder mystery novels it was Tyler and Alfred. Soon Robin came back to Wayne Manor, jovial and content. Instead of wearing his usual red and green striped t-shirt, he was wearing the t-shirt that said, "God Knows I Want to Break Free" that Barbara had given him for his birthday. Kevin could tell that Robin felt like he was on top of the world. It was the same happiness that Kevin had expressed when he and Kara got together. Robin sighed like a young man in love. Kevin put a bookmark in his novel and asked, "had a good evening, Robin?" The toon nodded happily. Kevin smiled and asked, "there a particular girl whose feet you swept off?" Robin smiled, sat down, and said, "yes there was. Her name is Barbara Gordon."

"No way. You told her your feelings?" Kevin asked in welcome surprise. Robin nodded excitedly and replied, "sure did. Now I've been promoted to boyfriend." Kevin smiled and patted Robin on the back. "Congratulations dude!" Kevin said, "I'd offer you a stiff drink, but you and I have to film the new episode tomorrow. And we never drink the day before work." Robin smirked and replied, "amen to that." Kevin offered, "how about I make us a pair of root beer floats as a substitute?" Robin smiled a little and said, "sounds good. But before you do that, there's something I have to tell you." Kevin looked at Robin and asked, "what's up?" Robin breathed in and began, "well I've told your dad, Tyler, and Barbara. I consider you my best friend Kevin, and I feel it's important you know. I traveled back through time."

"You did?" Kevin asked, "what date?" Robin nodded and said, "April 19th, 2016." Kevin raised an eyebrow and asked, "why that particular day?" Robin rubbed his arm and said, "on that date, Joker escaped Arkham Asylum. He was planning on attacking Barbara and her father Jim. Thankfully I was there to stop him." Kevin listened and asked, "what would happen if you weren't there?" Robin sighed, "if I wasn't there, Joker would have shot Barbara in the hip. The bullet would've torn her spine, permanently paralyzing Barbara. She'd never walk again, and she'd never be Batgirl. It would only get worse from there. He'd take pictures of her in pain." Kevin frowned and asked, "why would he do something so despicable?" Robin shook his head and replied, "in a vain attempt to drive her father mad. Joker believed it takes one bad day to turn any ordinary man into an insane monster like him." Kevin shook his head in disapproval and said, "that's bullshit. Not all people are like that. And even then, it depends on the person and the circumstances. Sometimes it takes more than one bad day. Sometimes it takes days or weeks or even years of buildup. And it depends on the person themself on what they choose. Like my mom. And Joker's twisted philosophy will never justify what he could have done to Barbara. At least, that's my philosophy."

"You think that's bad, it would have been worse for Jason," said Robin, "Joker was gonna kidnap Jason, and he was going to trick Bruce and the others into believing that he killed Jason. He didn't do that. Not at first. First Joker would have spent months torturing Jason, physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. And then leave him for dead. Maybe Jason didn't die, but a part of him did and he descended into an antiheroic morality, something not unlike Rorschach. In the original timeline, Jason Todd became Red Hood." Kevin listened, quite horrified at Jason's potential fate. "So that's what the original timeline would have been like," said Kevin, "I heard Joker wound up in a catatonic coma that he likely won't wake up from. I take it you had something to do with it?" Robin nodded and said, "I had a feeling if I just let Joker back in to Arkham Asylum, he would escape again and this time succeed in crippling Barbara. And if he didn't go after Barbara, what if he went after Jason? All of this would have been like the plot to Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines. Ya know, postponing Judgement Day. So putting Joker in a catatonic coma was the most logical and most humane thing to do without killing him."

"Okay, I don't consider Rise of the Machines to be canon to the Terminator franchise. For me, the franchise officially ended with Terminator 2 Judgment Day," said Kevin, "but I understand your point. There would be a probability of postponing the inevitable had you not taken extra precautions. You did the right thing. Thanks to you, Barbara's not in a wheelchair, Jason's alive and is living a good life. Other people Joker could have potentially killed are alive and well. What were Kara and I like in the other timeline?" Robin shrugged and said, "you two mostly remained the same. You both met when Barbara invited Kara over for pizza." Kevin nodded and said, "yeah... That's how we met. And Martolk?"

"Oh yeah, you two wound up there due to some technological snafu at STAR Labs," said Robin. "I recall you guys going on a wild goose chase trying to find us," chuckled Kevin. "Yeah, same for us," said Robin, "in the original timeline, we suspected that Joker was responsible for your disappearance. Tyler and I went to interrogate him and that was the first time I ever met him. In that original timeline." Kevin smirked and said, "not here. Joker was still in that coma when we went missing. So you guys didn't have any reason to interrogate him. But seeing Joker on life support gave Babs the willies from what I heard. It is interesting how that was the first time Barbara met you. But I guess even if you hadn't changed the timeline, I was meant to become Captain Courageous and Kara and I were meant to slay Skadlig and then start our romantic relationship." Robin nodded and said, "some things are meant to be. I'm glad to know your fate and Kara's fate never changed. Thanks for understanding Kevin." The son of Batman nodded and said, "no problem. What are friends for?" Kevin then made two glasses of root beer floats for him and Robin. Once the root beer floats were made, Kevin came back with them and gave one to Robin. Kevin raised his glass and said, "here's to a changed timeline that worked out for the better. And to your romantic relationship with Barbara." Robin clinked his glass with Kevin's and said, "I'll drink to that." The two friends enjoyed their root beer floats.