twently one

It's match day. Today is the day. Today is the day we play the US in the semifinal of the World Cup. I woke up this morning, in a good mood. I am excited. I had some cereal before getting on the bus. I sat next to Alex this time, as Leah was next to Keira. I spoke with Alex throughout the whole journey, until we arrived at Wembley. We got off the bus and walked into the stadium, to our changing room. We were getting filmed by one of the media people for Englands instagram page, so i waved before walking into the changing room. After we all arrived, we examined the pitch we know all too well, warmed up then came back in and it was time.

Lineup
Ellie Roebuck

Lucy Bronze
Leah Williamson (C)
Millie Bright
Alex Greenwood

Keira Walsh
Jordan Nobbs
Fran Kirby

Lauren Hemp
Beth England
Ella Bronze

Subs

Sandy Maciver
Mary Earps
Steph Houghton
Rachel Daly
Esme Morgan
Jill Scott
Georgia Stanway
Beth Mead
Ella Toone

Steph still isn't fit enough to start, we don't even know if she will be fit enough to start in the final, if we get through. That means Leah is captain, once again, and i'm playing on the right, with Hempo on the left and England in the middle. I've not played on the wing for England before but it's a position i'm used to and a position i feel comfortable in as i play on the wing for city, some times. Sarinas team talk was short as usual but really effective. She told us it's now or never. It's all or nothing. This is it. We either prove the world wrong or don't, it's as simple as that. She definitely helped with the nerves and everyone looked ready, everyone was fired up. Even the subs. We are ready.

We lined up and walked out. The stadium was almost full. The majority of the fans English, cheering us on. The US sung their National Anthem as did we and then it was time for kick off. The US started the game. Morgan passed to Heath and the game was underway.

(Just like last time, commentary is in italics)

"And we are underway here at Wembley in the World Cup semifinal, between England and the USA"

"Sarina has definitely changed her tactics, bringing Bronze in as a winger is something that has definitely got WSL followers and City fans excited"

"Yeah. Ella can definitely play on the wing. Playing there showcases her speed and skill, something we don't get to see much when she's playing as a striker. She will be excited to be playing on the wing"

"no Steph Houghton again today for England. She's still not fully fit and is once again on the bench. How might this affect them?"

"It won't and it shouldn't. Steph is a great captain and a great leader. She definitely marshals that back line well but Williamson does it just as well. Williamson is young but she's a great leader. We seen it against Australia, she was in charge of that back line and done her job perfectly. I think England fans and players will be glad they have Leah, filling in for someone like Houghton, isn't an easy thing to do but she's took it in her stride and has done a fine job so far"

"the US are favourites to go through, and to win the competition. England are being wrote off, how do you think the players will react to this?"

"It will ignite the fire inside them for sure. Being wrote off before a ball has been kicked will make them want to prove the world wrong. I don't think you can write anyone off in this competition. Look, no one expected England to get this far, they shocked us all and they won't want to drop it now. The levels they've been playing at show how much they want this. They will give it their all out there, 100%"