Two

All the sisters of the family stood in a room while they watched Daphne and Emmeline get ready for a ball. These kind of moments were how they learned what was happening in each others lives and share the gossip they were told from acquaintances and friends.

"You simply sparked, sisters!" The youngest, Hyacinth, exclaimed. Her energy was always high, but she was truly very kind.

Well, they knew it was true, everyone did. Books on etiquett teach one not to boast though, so the sisters simply downplayed the comment.

"Come now, we simply were girls in a dress like everyone else." Daphne interjected.

Francesca stood holding onto Eloise's chair, "Not exactly like everyone else."

For Eloise, she was worried for her friend, who she had seen make a mockery of herself. Her sister fatefully fainted in front of the queen, soliciting her season possibly ruined. However, Penelope wasn't the one who had that happen to her, what her sister does reflects her and sets her off on the same bad foot.

"I should go visit with Penelope. Her presentation was anything but...what was it the queen called you again?"

"Flawless." Emmeline smiled, "Or some such thing, however, it's hard to forget when the queen does call you flawless. Trust I was astonished her Majesty offered us, out of two hundred young ladies present a most gracious remark."

Eloise looked up from her book, "Yes, it was quite a distinction. And now two hundred young ladies have a common adversary. I wish you luck, Sister."

"Eloise." Francesa said, following the remark. She often kept a level-head and mature opinions.

"What, it is true?" She laughed. "You cannot pretend you would not be jealous of such a compliment?"

"Our position on the marrige mart influences all of your prospects." Daphne reminded.

"Indeed, a love as pure as what Mama and Papa once shared, if we are so fortunate. I merely hope I am able to continue such a grand tradition." Emmeline concluded as the help slid a silky purple dress with white flowers spaced out around the skirt.

Mama barged into the room, "Your dresses are here!" She yelped. The girls went running into the other room excited about the beautiful fabrics.

"This one is quite ravishing!" Daphne said.

"Mary Edgecombe wore a similar shade last season." Their mother added.

"She secured three offers the very next day, one from a earl!" Emmeline announced.

"Mary Edgecombe, now the Countess of Fulton, apparently spent the last year living in a cottage hundreds of miles away from her earl. She is miserable. It says it all here." Eliose pointed out reading off a paper.

"Then she is sad, but still a countess." Emmeline stated.

Mama was displeased. Gossip like this does no good, especially not for the prospect of her daughters.

"Do not tell me that is another scandal sheet. Eloise—." Mama said but she got cut off.

"No, no, this one is different. This one lists subjects by name, in full." Eloise concluded.

"Let me see!"

"No let me see!"

Francesca and Hyacinth both ran to grab it, but Francesca reached to it first. For a minute, she read over it silently.

"Lady Whistledown."

"Lady Whistledown?" Daphne questioned.

"The author." Eloise noted.

"Do we know a Lady Whistledown?" Mama asked.

"Well, what does she say?" Emmeline asked, "Surely, it's not her real name." Replying to her Mama's comment.

The ladies walked into a living area and all ask questions to Daphne, who was now holding the sheet.

"What does it say, dearest?" Their mother asked.

Daphne read a little and started, "She loaths the fact we have been named alphabetically, oldest to youngest."

Her mother's voice got quiter, "Your father and I found it orderly."

Daphne started saying what she wrote again, "Lady Whistledown finds it 'banality'."

"The papers were distributed across town today without charge." Eloise stated.

"Whithout charge?" Emmeline asked herself, "Surely this is some ploy to try to get their daughter ahead by bashing others, or some jealous women, or someone who wants to share their gossip privately. Surely she must have money—."

Daphne and Mama both gasped, "Well, atleast she has one thing right. She has named Daphne the season's Incomparable. She calls you her a 'diamond of the first water'. Well, how lovely."

Emmeline pulled her sisters hands to her chest and sighed, "You are surely to find a dazzling match. You were meant to be this remarkable, rather than fade away."